「12」A Spark of Hope

03/27/21
Totally didn't use that little note at the end of the last chapter to remind myself about what I'm writing next👀

Longer chapter this time, I've got a bunch of ideas!

"Hey Ray, I have a question. You don't think my plan is awful, do you?"

Ray tilts his head up just a little to make eye contact with me.

"Of course not, escaping is already a gamble. But climbing down the wall to escape sounds like some badass stunt." There was a determined glimmer in his eyes, a look that I've seen only once before.

"But there's something that's unclear to me, how are we going to distract Mama? Don't even think about shipping someone out."

I laugh, and say:

"No silly! I'll talk to Mama at night while she's in her room! She can't leave, and I'll just head back to the room and grab my stuff. I'll still be able to escape."

He gave me a skeptical look.

"Are you sure? I get the feeling that you're lying."

"Of course I'm not! Why would I have any reason to lie about the escape plan?" A cold sweat trickled down my face, but before Ray could notice it, we heard something moving.

We whipped our heads around to the source of the noise.

The rustling of leaves pressed on until 2 particular faces popped out from behind the leaves.

"Heya! What are you both doing back here?" Emma exclaimed, jumping out from behind the bush.

"A-ah Emma! We were supposed to hide for a bit longer..." Norman spoke with his eyes glued to the ground.

"Oh, we were?" ...

"AH WE WERE! I'M SORRY NORMAN!"

Ray turned his head back to face the river, and his eyes held some sort of doubt.

"Ray what's wrong?" Norman asked, which got our attention.

"Yeah Ray! Is something going on?" Emma spoke with worry written on her face.

He didn't speak, nor did he glance up at us. He just...stared at the river.

The sound of leaves rustling and the breeze passing by filled the air. In that moment, I wondered if the outside world made these sounds as well. It only made me want to see it for myself even more.