「5」The River

02/01/21
Sorry about the wait, it's been a painful week for me, and dEAR LORD I almost lost 3 chapters bc of my internet ;-;

02/01/21Sorry about the wait, it's been a painful week for me, and dEAR LORD I almost lost 3 chapters bc of my internet ;-;

I hid the note underneath Ray's pillow, hoping that he would look there later on.

After doing so, I left the room and made a beeline for the library. I picked up a book that was in the middle of a table, and sat on the floor.

"The Adventures of Ugo..? Seems interesting enough." I mutter. My hands flip through the pages as I read each one.

The book was filled with interesting creatures and fauna. I won't lie, I was intrigued. The colors spread from page to page, begging me to keep on exploring the book. I read and stared at the pictures, each color captivating me. Before I knew it, I had finished the book.

"What? That's it?" I whined, closing the book and taking it with me to my bed.

I stored the book in my bedside table, under a pile of papers I had collected. Seeing those papers reminded me of something.

"Just a little more. Only a bit more, then I'll use you." I spoke, a serious expression on my face and a dead look in my eyes.

I closed my drawer and saw Ray passing by the room in the corner of my eye.

"Hey Ray! Whatcha doing?" I ask, following him around.

"Why does it matter? I'm just walking around."

"Oh I see...you have a meeting?"

He stayed silent, then slowly nodded.

"You can listen in if you want. I've always trusted you and your abilities, I doubt that you'll reveal yourself as someone who knows the secret." He speaks, halting his footsteps and turning to me.

"Eheh, I'll sit this one out. Thanks anyway."

"You sure? The information Mama ends up spilling subconsciously is actually pretty interesting."

"Why don't you just tell me then Ray?" I chuckle, letting him know that I said that out of sarcasm.

Ray rolled his eyes and smiled.

"I'll be off, let's meet under the tree later. Then we can walk to the river to discuss the plans."

I nod and give him a smile, which he returns. Ray turns away, and heads towards the dining room.

After all that, I head to the tree and take a seat where I usually do: literally right next to where Ray sits. There were many flowers surrounding me, hence the idea of making a flower crown was born. I let myself occupied for the next 15 minutes making flower crowns. Three of them were placed to the side, and one was in my hand, nearing completion.

"Hey dork, what are you doing?" I look up and see Ray walking toward me.

"Oh this?" I hold up the flower crown that I was working on. "It's a flower crown."

"I didn't know you were crafty like that." He says with a hint of surprise in his voice.

"Ray, I can do many things, I just suck at them and prefer not to do them often."

"Mood, anyways...should we go now?"

We walk to the river in the back of the forest. Ever since we were able to walk, it's become our little thing to hang out by the river. Some days, we'd come back soaking wet because we ended up pushing each other into the water.

I sigh, remembering that old memory.

"What's with the sigh? You annoyed at me or something." Ray says with a smirk on his face.

"No, I was just thinking about how we pushed each other into the river when we were like 5 or 6." I explain. "Also, why are you smirking?!"

Ray laughs, and we joke about how stupid we looked when we fell into the river.

"You looked like a witch, with your hair floating around in different directions." Ray laughs at his observation.

"And you looked like an emo fish gone wrong." He didn't laugh at that, instead, he pushed me into the river.

"BAHAHAH WITCH I'M TELLING YOU!" He cackles, maniacally. It's almost enough to give me the chills.

I moped about it for 5 seconds before grabbing Ray's hand and yanking him into the river.

"Heh karma." I smirk.

The bell rung, signaling that it was time to return to the House. And then...

"Oh dear, I haven't seen this in a while!" Mama laughs, also remembering the memory as everyone else stands there confused. Norman and Emma were curled up on the grass laughing, while Ray and I stood there, drenched and embarrassed.

"Damn it." I heard Ray curse.

I laughed upon hearing that, and Ray dragged me into the house to avoid the embarrassment.

"It was nice to see Norman and Emma laughing again. They've been so serious for a while." I admit to him.

"Yeah, you're right. That was nice." Ray admits as well as he smiles. Although, I didn't see it, nor did I see the light pink dusting his cheeks.

 Although, I didn't see it, nor did I see the light pink dusting his cheeks