nine

You knew Tommy was planning something.

He always wore the same expression on his face. A look of rage.

He lashed out a few times at others after L'manburg had exploded, crumbling alongside his country. You could tell he was emotionally distraught, and you wished to help your friend. But, you weren't sure how.

He wasn't ever in the mood to get away from his anger, only wanting to be alone and "to think."

You didn't wish to be yelled at yourself, because truth be told, anyone yelling at you isn't fun. So, you kept your distance a bit, even if it hurt you.

You weren't quite sure what to do, even. The worry and panic that covered your mind clashed with your logical senses. You couldn't see eye to eye with anyone, as you grew into this cycle.

Worrying about Tommy, about L'manburg, about everyone who could potentially be in danger.. because of Dream.

It all raced through your mind, and you couldn't let it go. You couldn't lose focus on your worries.

Sitting on a small hill by yourself, you held your head as you looked out at all the buildings.

Tears were swimming in your eyes, slipping down your chin. You were overwhelmed with grief, loss, worry, and most of all.. loneliness.

You were so lost that you didn't know if talking to your friends was a good idea. You couldn't have a normal, happy conversation after what happened.. It was too soon.

Looking out at the sunset beginning to set, you just let the tears from your sockets slip out slowly. You didn't whimper or wail, only sitting in painful silence. Soon enough, it got too much to hold in, and you shoved your face into your hands.

Your muffled cries were quiet, but you felt so alone.

...

Suddenly, you freeze.

You feel a pair of arms wrap around your back, making you grow silent. Your hands slowly retracted from your face, revealing the tears slipping down your cheeks again.

You felt the person's head gently rest on your back, as they looked down at the ground in shame.

"...I'm sorry."

Your eyes widen at this.

"I didn't mean to make you cry so much."

"...Tommy, it's not your fault.."

"You were trying to talk to me these past couple of days, and I only pushed you away. I'm sorry, (Y/N). I hardly ever apologise for anything."

Tommy sniffs loudly, giving you the impression he's almost ready to cry. You turn around to face him, holding up his face in your hands. His tears were small, but they slipped out, touching your hands.

"Tommy..-"

"We're both overwhelmed, aren't we?.. So is everyone else.. we lost L'manburg.. we lost so much all too fast, and-.. I-I have no clue how we can win! And I feel so bad for you, even..- Just imagining you hurt or crying makes me want to-"