CHAPTER 41

|Gotham City
|December 19 2013, 15:42

Katherine heard her bathroom door open and close again, not protesting it at all. The shower curtain was hiding her- and this was still his home.

"You should be in school." Katherine said, rinsing the shampoo out of her hair.

"Christmas." Jason mumbled, leaning against the sink.

"Of course." Katherine sighed, "Christmas."

Jason would be spending Christmas at Wayne Manor this year. If it was anything like Thanksgiving he wasn't getting excited about it- not as if he'd ever been excited about holidays. He'd never had reason to be.

"Batman said I can go on patrol soon." Jason changed the subject away from holidays, cheering up a little as he did, "I finally finished my theory training, which means I'll actually get to be Robin, instead of wasting my skills in The Cave- either of them."

"Hey." Katherine massaged conditioner into her hair, "Mount Justice isn't that bad when you're with the team."

"Well I don't think they like me very much after what happened the other day." Jason went back to mumbling, "Grayson pisses me off."

"Hah, yeah." Katherine weakly laughed, "Believe me, I know."

The shift in Jason's mood told her she should've worded that differently.

"A-About the Dick being a dick thing." She cleared up, "He knows how to get under your skin."

"Yeah..." Jason trailed off, not really wanting to get too into it.

Dick wasn't the problem, he was.

Katherine frowned, feeling his inner conflict.

**********

"So how do you do it?" Jason asked from out on Katherine's fire escape.

Katherine chose to ignore the fact he was smoking and finished putting on her scar lotion and compression garments.

She couldn't exactly tell him to look after himself while she was doing that.

"Katherine?"

"What?" Katherine looked back over at him.

He was now watching her, finally able to look at her now she was wearing something.

"Nevermind." He huffed, turning back around to look out at the parking lot. "It was a stupid question."

He asked a question?

Katherine bit her lip.

She was missing more and more things.

She couldn't ignore that for much longer.

"Speak of the devil." Jason grunted, standing up on the fire escape to look down at the parking lot.

Curious, Katherine got up from her spot on the floor to go to her window and see who Jason was seeing.

A moment later the doorbell rang.

"That's my cue to leave." Jason put his cigarette out on the ashtray.

Katherine didn't want to leave him, but whoever was downstairs kept pressing the doorbell, and this noise was uncomfortable to hear, to say the least.

"Stay put." She winced, using her speed to get to the phone. "Hello?"

Jason never said who it was.

"Hey, Kitten."

Right, that made sense.

Jason was pissed off at Dick for some reason.

"Door's unlocked." She told him, hanging up the phone again.

When she returned to her bedroom, the window was closed and there was no sign of Jason on the fire escape- or anywhere in the parking lot below.

"How you feeling?"

Katherine narrowed her eyes as she noticed his reflexion in the window.

"What, no more hello?" Nightwing nervously laughed, "What have I done now?"

"What do you want?" Katherine turned her back to the window, leaning against it as she looked Nightwing up and down.

He was wearing his suit, mask, everything, and thought it was ok to come visit her in broad daylight- via the front door too.

"Did anyone see you?" Katherine couldn't help but worry someone had saw him go up the flights of stairs to reach her.

"No." Nightwing held up his grappling hook, "Took a shortcut."

"I have windows, you know." Katherine shook her head at him before leaving her room to go into the kitchen, Nightwing close behind her.

"So..." Nightwing went over to her fridge, reading whatever doctor appointments and reminders Katherine had stuck on there. "You seem to be busy."

"Nothing I can't handle." Katherine told him, checking her cupboards for anything simple she could make.

Now Jason was gone, she didn't see the need to buy a lot when she could steal it from The Watchtower or Hall of Justice.

Nobody ever caught her stealing food.

Not in the act at least.

Nightwing seemed to notice the lack of food. "I can get us something." He offered, "Just down the street there's a fast food place. I passed it just now-"

"You'll get shot." Katherine pulled out a mouldy loaf of bread, cringing at the sight of it. "Ugh!" She turned away, using her claws to pinch the plastic bag it was in and toss it in the trash, "You'd think Jason would've taken his bread with the rest of his stuff to the manor, wouldn't you?"

"Yeah...I think I'll take my chances out there. You sit down and I'll be back soon, ok?"

Katherine didn't get a chance to say no before he left.

She sat down at the kitchen table and picked at her compression garments, trying not to let it get to her.

He was just trying to look after her.

That was it.

Even if she didn't think she needed to be looked after, it's what any good friend would do.

Nightwing just wanted to be a good friend.

Maybe that was why he pissed her off so easily.

He was too good for someone like her.

Word Count: 909

A/N: This update is a day late because I was travelling! Updates will continue as normal again- sorry for missing one!