CHAPTER 53

|Gotham City
|December 28 2013, 00:02

"Hnh." Calico glanced down at his watch unamused, "Two minutes late."

"N-Nearly there." The nervous driver told him.

"Mhm." Calico's eyes shifted to the street outside.

For an area lined with dozens of lootable factories, it was suspiciously clear of petty criminals.

"Stop here." Calico suddenly said, his seltbelt jerking when the driver slammed on the breaks.

The driver spluttered, "S-Sorry, Calico, sir, I-"

"I know, I know." Calico rolled his eyes, waving his gun around in his hand, "Just stay here. If I'm not back in an hour, call my guys in- the ones who do their job well."

"Y-Yes sir." The driver unlocked the back door, shakily setting an alarm on his phone.

Calico sighed, putting the gun away.

All his staff were like this.

Useless.

"Also." Calico added on his way out the car, "Make sure there's a cleanup crew first thing in the morning. I have a feeling the factory won't be as clean as the workers have told me."

"Yes sir." The driver managed, nodding his head, "O-Of course, sir."

"Great." Calico slammed the door shut behind himself, making sure his gun was ready to fire long before he reached the factory.

**********

"Robin."

"Yes?" Robin tried not to sound too irritated.

Batman was testing his patience- probably literally. That's the only reason he'd not yet snapped at the constant check-ins.

"Any sign of Calico?" Batgirl asked.

"No." Robin lied, ducking slightly as Calico walked around the corner holding what appeared to be an assault rifle. "No sign of Calico. He must've got caught in traffic."

"Hmm."

Robin tensed a little, thinking his tone gave away his lie.

"Let us know when he arrives." Batman said before going silent again.

Robin cut off his mic. "Most certainly will...not." He chuckled, staying low so he'd not be spotted.

Calico got to the gates of the factory and stopped for a moment. Robin narrowed his eyes, not sure why, until Calico put his gun down to search his pockets for the gate keys.

"Well that was dumb." Robin chuckled, firing his grappling hook to swing him down to the street.

The idea was to kick Calico into the gate.

He didn't stop to consider Calico grabbing his ankle and slamming him into the gate instead.

"Ngh!" Robin groaned, clutching his ribs.

"Oof, you definitely broke something there." Calico stepped over him after opening the gate, "Even for a rookie...that was dumb." He chuckled, flicking the ears on his cowl.

Robin managed to get up just as the gates closed again, the blurry figure of Calico approaching the factory.

It was like he didn't care at all.

Or...did he hear him coming?

"Wh-Where do you think you're going?" Robin got over the gate, one hand clutching his ribs, the other shakily holding a batarang.