CHAPTER 94

|Gotham City
|May 27 2014, 13:26

It had been a month since...that night.

Batman got there too late, and the whole world had went into mourning because of it.

For a week, at least.

That's how long it took for everyone to forget.

Batman caught Joker, threw him back into Arkham Asylum, and then everyone else forgot.

It was like Jason's life was nothing.

Katherine didn't forget though.

Ever since that night she'd been relentlessly trying to get her claws in The Joker for what he'd done.

Arkham Asylum said he was just as crazy as he was when he broke out, so they'd locked him up tighter than they'd ever before, making it impossible to get to him while he was in there.

The Commissioner, The GCPD, they weren't arguing with the 'professionals' who said Joker wasn't going to Belle Reve because he was insane. All they cared about was that Arkham kept him locked up, as he should've been to begin with.

Belle Reve's current warden was Hugo Strange, known associate of The Light, so even though he was 'in charge' of what went on at Belle Reve, he wasn't really in charge.

The Light, the only people who could allow Katherine access to The Joker, refused to do anything until Catgirl agreed to rejoin them.

After a month of injustice, she was at the point where everything she'd tricked herself into believing about justice over the past 4 years was nothing but a lie. That what she used to believe, what Felix had taught her as a kid, was closer to real justice than she would ever get if she continued to pretend to be someone she wasn't.

She was considering on accepting The Light's offer, because now she knew the truth; that she was never meant to be a hero, just another person who believed they could be one.

"Hey, Kath.." Felix cautiously approached from behind.

Katherine blinked, coming out of the dissociative state she'd fallen into.

Truth be told, she'd been like this ever since that night.

At first she thought it was just her body healing and adjusting to the new life- but, no, it wasn't that.

The moment she ran out that warehouse and left Jason to die, the moment he did die..

It turned her feral.

That meant Catgirl could've saved Jason afterall. Had she done something different- maybe if she'd stayed behind...

"Hey, you been here all morning?" Felix put his arm around Katherine, pulling her to lean into him as they both stared down at the engraving:

Robin II
April 27 2014
a hero

Felix sighed, putting a bouquet of flowers into Katherine's hand. "For the kid." He muttered, looking down at all the flowers citizens had left, "Doesn't look like he really needs them though-"

Katherine put the flowers on Jason's grave before Felix could take them back- gods forbid he gave them to that assistant of his he'd started crushing on.

Felix stood behind her, frowning as she lightly ran her claws along the engraved headstone, secretly just as angry about all of this as she was.

Robin had a different grave than Jason's; it was public and in the middle of the cemetery, where anyone could pay their respects to the sidekicks that briefly protected the city at Batman's side.