CHAPTER 47

|Gotham City
|December 21 2013, 06:22

"So, are you going to tell me, or do I have to send my guys after him to prove it?" Calico threatened, having got nowhere with asking nicely.

"I don't know, do you want to hand yourself over to Batman?" Catgirl gave him a small smile before sipping her catnip-free drink.

Calico narrowed his eyes at her, but kept his cool- if only just. "Katherine." He smiled through his gritted teeth, "If the rumours are true, you're just as screwed as me. I doubt this new Robin is as loyal as the last one."

Catgirl put her glass down onto the desk, turning the chair she was in around so she could look out at the city.

She didn't have anything to worry about here; Jason was arguably closer to her than Dick was. Of course she didn't want Jason finding out the truth, but if he did...he'd at least make sure it didn't ruin her.

"Batman is our only threat." She stared off into the Gotham skyline, "If the rumours are true about this new Robin, which I won't confirm nor deny, then he'll just be some kid in a cape and a tights. He's not going to be a threat to anything."

"And the old one?"

"The old one will be wondering what's taking me so long." Catgirl stood up from the chair, continuing to look out the window as she asked, "Are you going to let me walk out of here without your answers, or am I going to have to take out your men and escape?"

Calico was silent for a moment before quietly laughing and stepping away from the door.

Catgirl turned around to look at him uneasily.

He never just dropped something that fast.

She didn't like it.

"Fine then." She sighed, sitting back down in his office chair, "I'll tell you what I can."

"I thought you would." Calico gave her a nod on his way to pour himself another drink.

Catgirl watched him take out the catnip, turning away so she'd not have to watch him mix it in his drink.

She'd never liked watching him use anything.

It was arguably what encouraged her to start.

"Batman and Robin had a fight just over a month ago. Bad. Robin quit, leaving his job open. Batman found a kid with potential and trained him up- but he's got a long way to go before he's a threat to you- or any villain for that matter. Really, Felix, he had to put in effort to take down your messenger earlier. You don't need to worry about him, ok?"

"So you were lying." Calico muttered to himself, "I thought so. I was always the best liar in the family-"

"But you're not going to lie about this, ok?" Catgirl sternly warned, "The new Robin is not to be harmed in any way."

Calico chuckled, "You have my word, Kath-"

"Thank you." She gave him a greatful look before she noticed the 'but' coming. "But...there's a condition, isn't there?"

"Of course there is." Calico sipped his drink, "You think I got to where I am with morals? No. I don't care if he's just some kid in a cape and tights. If your new Robin friend is going to be trouble for me, I'm going to put an end to him before he catches up with his predecessor."

"He's a kid!" Catgirl stood up again, "He doesn't even know what he's doing!"

What, did Calico expect Jason to not follow orders? Go behind Batman's back like Dick did?

Jason wasn't like Dick.

"I don't really care." Calico shrugged, "He stays out my way, I stay out his. I think that's pretty fair."

"It's not and you know it." Catgirl pointed at him, "You know it's only a matter of time before you two cross paths again. You're- You're just trying to use me to buy you more time-"

"I'm not denying that this will help keep Batman off my tail for a bit longer, but that's not why I'm doing this. Let me make that much clear. If you told any other villain there was a new Robin, they'd kill him while he was weak, without a second thought. Me? I'm going to give the kid a chance. I bet that's more than you'd do if the tables were turned."

Catgirl opened her mouth to argue, but couldn't. As much as she hated to agree with him, she did.

Had this been the other way around and she was the villain, feral and with the whole world on herself, Robin would've already been put in the ground.

"Judging by your speechlessness, I'll presume we've come to our latest agreement." Calico came up to the desk with his free hand out, "You make sure my operation is left alone, and I'll leave Robin alone. He takes a gram of my product off the market, I'm going to make sure no kid ever puts on that mask again."

Catgirl slapped his hand away and made her way to the door.

"Be like that then." He rolled his eyes, "Agree or don't, it doesn't really matter. There's nothing you can do to protect that kid-"

Catgirl slammed the door shut behind herself, cutting off whatever else Calico had to say.

She'd heard enough.

Word Count: 894

A/N: Thanks for continuing to support the book!