CHAPTER 44

|The Batcave
|Dec 20 2013, 21:57

"Catgirl B-0-0."

Catgirl had been in The Batcave for around 2 seconds before she was joined by Batman. He grunted at her, but didn't give her much more than that.

"What, you not going to have a go at me for being late?" Catgirl narrowed her eyes at him.

Even if Jason had finished his theory, she wasn't exactly happy with the idea of him going out as Robin so quickly.

She turned towards the stairs, waiting for Jason to follow, but he never did.

"Where is he anyway?" She asked, a little suspicious.

Jason had been waiting for this night for what seemed like forever- even if it had only been a month since he signed the Robin contract.

"Late." Was the only response she got from Batman as he prepped The Batmobile for the night.

That answer wasn't cutting it.

**********

Upstairs, in the bathroom down the hall from his room, Jason was leaned over the sink, blinking the black coloured water out his eyes.

He turned off the tap and rinsed his hair before standing up to look at himself in the mirror.

Katherine would probably hate him for it, but Robin had black hair, not red. If he was going to be Robin for real now, he needed to look the part.

A knock at the bathroom door startled him a little, making him immediately turn the tap back on.

"I'll be down in a minute, Alfred!" Jason yelled over the running water, grabbing the hand towel to quickly dry his hair, "Tell Bruce I-"

"It's me!" Katherine's stood on the other side of the door, looking at the lock from her side, "Is it safe to come in?!"

Jason turned off the tap, looking back at his reflection, "Uh.."

The lock on the door clicked open, but she waited for an answer.

"I'm...I'm not ready yet." Jason looked down at the suit he'd left in a pile by the shower.

"That's not what I asked you." She opened the door a little, making sure he wasn't going to tell her to leave before opening it fully to look at him and frown, "Your hair."

Jason finished drying his hair and tossed the towel aside. "I wanted a change." He said, picking up his suit from the floor. 

"You wanted to dye your hair to match Dick's." She narrowed her eyes slightly, not buying his reason.

Rightfully so.

She'd caught him there.

"I need to look the part if I'm going to be going out there as Robin." He excused, taking his suit to his room to change.

Katherine watched him go into the room but didn't follow. She went into the bathroom instead, to pick up the dye-stained towel he'd dumped behind himself. "You're not him.." she mumbled to herself, picking at one of the stains with her claws.

Sometimes it seemed like he was trying a little too hard to be like Dick Grayson.

Jason took only a minute to fully suit up; Batman had made him practice putting it on and taking it off as quickly as possible, similar to how a fireman would with their suit, to make sure response time was as quick as possible.

Quickest he could do it so far...was a minute.

Still 'not quick enough'.

Katherine was waiting for him when he came out, ready to take him down to The Batcave.

"That was fast." She gave him an impressed nod, letting him lead the way.

**********

"So." Robin broke the tense silence in The Batmobile, looking over his shoulder to the backseat, "Are you going to be watching my back the entire night or..?"

Catgirl took a break from her glaring match with Batman in the mirror to explain, "I'm not going on patrol with you. I'll be taking a similar route, and we'll meet up a few times, but for the most part I will be solo a few blocks away. If you run into trouble I'll be there, if not then it'll be like I wasn't even there."

"So you're stalking us?" Robin raised a brow.

"No." Catgirl turned away again, this time to look out her window, "Only one here being stalked tonight is me."

"Nightwing." Batman grumbled, "He's in Gotham."

"Why?" Robin scoffed, "He too scared to take on Blüdhaven without you?"

"No." Catgirl looked back at him, giving him a look.

Robin narrowed his eyes a little at her, understanding completely- at least he thought he did.

He fell silent after that, looking out his own window.

Catgirl half expected to see Nightwing by The Batmobile's side on a motorcycle. He said he'd leave her to it, but it wasn't like him to actually stick to that- especially when he knew she wasn't at the best of her game.

He said he didn't want her out his sight.

She knew he'd stick to that.

**********

Catgirl was doing sticking to what she said she would be doing too, watching Robin from a rooftop a block or so away.

He had experience being on rooftops from growing up in The Narrows and smoking with her, but it still gave Catgirl some anxiety to see him laying down on one of the buildings gargoyles, 7 storeys above the street.

"Do something." She narrowed her eyes, watching Batman just stand on the roof by him, overlooking the city.

She could tell they were having a conversation because both their lips were moving, but she was hesitant to try and figure out what they were saying.

The last time she eavesdropped like that she got her heart broken.

It was unlikely that would be the case with whatever those two were talking about though; unless Jason had suddenly decided Bruce was his favourite parent.

Robin looked too happy to be conflicting over something like that.

"He's ok." She told herself, taking a break from her 'stalking' to go back to her solo patrol on the street, slowly but surely making her way towards The Dynamic Duo's rendezvous point.

All she had to do first was take care of her own stalker.

The assassin kind.