CHAPTER 20

|The Batcave
|November 23 2013, 23:59

Batman parked The Batmobile in it's usual spot in The Batcave. He turned around to look at the boy in the backseat.

He seemed to be close to Katherine Kyle.

It may even be that case that she'd broken her agreement with The Justice League, choosing to take in a minor after vowing to never.

As far as Batman was aware, this kid was just someone off the streets. He wasn't associated with any hero before she met him.

Calico association or not, it didn't make sense for her to take him in; there were hundreds of kids just like him on the streets.

Why him?

"Master Bruce-"

Batman opened the door and got out, ignoring Alfred to go around to the back seat and open the door to reveal Jason.

"Master Bruce, when you said we were expecting a guest I-"

"He knows Katherine."

"Miss Kyle?" Alfred questioned as he followed Batman to the infirmary.

Batman lay Jason down on the bed and did a final sweep for any identification, stopping once he reached his hoodie pocket.

He pulled out a large bag of glowing neon green powder, Catnip, and held it in his hand.

If he wasn't sure about a Calico connection before, he was now.

"Alfred."

Alfred nodded and took the bag away.

Batman continued searching for any identification, pulling something else out of another pocket:

Katherine's lighter.

Batman put the lighter into his utility belt, keeping it for DNA testing, incase he was wrong about being able to make her talk.

"Master Bruce, may I ask why you have brought him here? Shouldn't you have taken him to a hospital?" Alfred returned, frowning down at Jason.

"No." Batman shook his head, treating Jason's head while he was still out and unable to feel it. "He knows about Robin. He said Katherine told-"

"Miss Kyle-"

"Lied." Batman narrowed his eyes as he worked, "She lied to The Justice League and told him, an outsider."

"And her other team?" Alfred frowned, knowing how hard it would've been for Katherine to lie to them.

"They still don't know." Batman kept his back to Alfred, "The Justice League haven't told anyone. The only people outside that meeting that know is you, Batgirl, and him." He looked back down at Jason as he finished treating the head injury.

"And who is he?"

Batman pulled out the switchblade he'd taken off him in his original sweep for ID and held it up for Alfred, showing the rusted blade. "I don't have a name, yet, but I have enough to believe he has connections and information that could be useful in our mission to stop Calico. Judging by the dried blood on this blade, and the amount of Catnip found on him, the kid has more than enough street credit to be one of Calico's soldiers."

"So what?" Alfred wasn't amused in the slightest, "You kidnap him and hold him against his will until he tells you what you want to know? He is a child-"

"He knows Katherine, it's different."

"Dif- how does that make any difference? That boy is what? 13? 14 years old? He is a child, not some street thug you can torture information out of-"