CHAPTER 26

TW: Blood

|The Batcave
|November 27 2013, 19:38

Catgirl tapped her foot impatiently and swallowed a handful of motion sickness pills she'd swiped from one of the bathroom cabinets in Wayne Manor.

"Those won't last long." Batman commented, watching her in the rear-view mirror.

Catgirl glared at his masked eyes, about to snap back when the front passenger door opened and Robin excitedly got in.

The first thing he did after taking in all the buttons, switches and levers was turn around to look at Catgirl, "This is the best day of my life!" He laughed, going back to all the panels around him.

Catgirl forced a smile back, quickly telling him to, "Put your seatbelt on." As she turned away from him to look out her window, "The Batmobile is prone to accidents."

Jason was wearing Dick's old Robin suit, the one he wore when the team was first formed.

It fit a little too well for comfort.

Jason as Robin.

Something about it just didn't feel right.

"Accidents?!" Jason processed what she'd said and panicked, sitting forward to look at Batman with wide eyes, "Tell me that's not a regular thing I'm gonna have to- I was in this crash once during a GTA and-"

"Attacks." Batman spoke over Robin before he could say something that'd get him in trouble, "The Batmobile is prone to attacks."

That didn't seem to make the new Boy Wonder feel any safer.

**********

"So what does this button do?" Jason asked, hovering his finger over yet another button.

"It dispenses smoke."

"Cool, and this one?"

"Missiles."

"Whoa! Really?! That's awesome, Bruce- shit, I mean Batman. Sorry. Uh...what about that button?"

Batman sighed and pressed it, Jason sighing and leaning back into his seat a moment later to enjoy the heat coming from it.

"This car.." He closed his eyes and smiled in awe, "It's so..mmh..."

Batman hid a smile and enjoyed the silence as Jason seemed to drift off into sleep from the warmth of his seat. Catgirl watched Jason, waiting until his heart rate had dropped enough before glaring at Batman in the rear-view mirror again.

"He stays in the car, got it?" She warned, "If he doesn't so help me Bastet I will-"

"That's why you're here, isn't it?" Batman met her eyes in the mirror.

"Exactly." Catgirl looked back at Robin, her expression softening, "He's not ready."

**********

"Stay put." Batman instructed, leaving The Batmobile to chase after Catgirl.

Jason looked out the window, watching as Batman ran in the direction Catgirl went.

Her motion sickness pills had worn off- that was, presuming it was the motion sickness that was making her want to vomit. She was sick anyway.

"Ugh.." Catgirl wiped her mouth, turning her head in the direction of footsteps. "Motion...sickness.." She said, trying to catch her breath.

Batman stopped a few metres away from her, crossing his arms in what Catgirl could only presume to be irritation.

She couldn't tell what he was feeling from that far away.

Or much in general.

Batman always was hard to read...

"Anyway." She pushed herself off the wall she was leaning against, trying to ignore the specks of gold at her feet, "I thought I told you to make sure he stays in the car."

"I did." Batman gestured the empty street behind him, "I told him to stay put."

Catgirl knew she didn't have to tell him sidekicks never listened to 'stay put'.

Batman sighed and started to make his way back to The Batmobile.

Catgirl looked down at the specks of her golden blood in her vomit, it being the first time that had happened.

Was she getting worse?

"No, focus." She shook her head, chasing after Batman before he took her distraction as an oppurtunity to ditch her and go crimefighting with his new underqualified sidekick, Jason

Jason was trying to figure out how to get into his wrist computer when The Batmobile made a noise and he flinched, his holographic screen disappearing as he seemed to have turned it off.

The back door opened a second later, Catgirl climbing in and collapsing onto the seats.

Jason turned around to frown at her.

She even looked ill.

"I'm ok, kid." She said, keeping her eyes closed as she propped herself up against the door, "I just need a minute to let my healing kick in."

"Yeah, sure." Jason didn't want to think about it, "Just tell me how long until we go on patrol, I'm getting bored of this car now."

Catgirl quietly laughed.

"What?" He furrowed his brows, not sure why she was laughing.

"Nothing." Catgirl opened her eyes and sat up properly, "Just be patient, Batman will come back for us soon."

**********

It took Jason a lot longer than he'd like to admit to realise that Batman wasn't coming.

It'd been hours since he'd left.

The only reason Jason hadn't left The Batmobile to go off on his own was A.) because Catgirl was passed out in the back, and B.) she had the sense to steal his mask when he was sleeping earlier- something he needed if he was going to be Robin.

"Katherine." He whispered, climbing into the backseat to try and wake her. "Psst, Katherine. Kath-?"

"What?" She grumpily sat up straight, "Can't you see I'm trying to sleep off my motion-"

"That's a lie and everyone fucking knows it." He glared back, "You lied about the motion sickness, just like you lied about Batman letting me go on patrol tonight."

She narrowed her eyes back at him, repeating, "You aren't ready-"

"Aren't ready?" He laughed and pointed to the R on his chest, "Tell that to Batman; he made me Robin."

"You signed a contract." Catgirl diverted her eyes to the iconic R symbol, "That doesn't make you a Robin though- not a real Robin."

"A real Robin? Katherine, I'm real." Jason held out his hand for his mask, "I'm red, black and yellow real."

"Yeah, well if you'd went out on patrol tonight you would have been black, blue and bloody. That is real." She said, holding up his mask, "I know you're pissed at me for ruining your first night as Robin, but you'll thank me for it one day, when you realise just how dangerous it would've been if I let you go out there too soon." She returned his mask after she'd said her bit.

"Please." Jason put the mask back over his eyes, "I grew up on on these streets. I was capable of surviving then, so I bet I'm more than capable of surviving now."

"Well I'm not willing to bet." Catgirl got comfy in the back seat again, "So I suggest you get into the front and put your seat back- get some rest on the job while you still can, ok? This may be your last free night for a long time."

Word Count: 1152