CHAPTER 30

|The Batcave
|November 30 2013, 19:02

"She's late." Batman said, already impatient.

"She'll be here!" Robin kept his eyes on the zeta, "She's only a couple minutes-"

"Crime doesn't wait." Batman said, knocking Robin to the ground without warning.

"Ack!" Robin gripped his ribs, looking up at Batman confused, "What-?"

"Lesson one." Batman didn't seem to be waiting for Katherine, "Never let your guard down." He offered his hand to help Robin up.

Robin took his hand, only to be dropped, hitting the ground again. He glared up at Batman before getting up on his own, brushing himself down as he said, "Katherine won't be long."

"Lesson two."

Robin got ready to defend himself.

Batman continued, "Katherine Kyle cannot be trusted. She is a professional liar. She has and will lie to you where she sees fit."

"Has?" Robin nervously laughed, "Yeah, right. You know she said the exact same thing about you, B."

Batman didn't seem to be joking.

"Yeah." Robin admitted, "I know she lies to me about some things, but nothing huge. She's always been honest about what she tells me, and what she doesn't tell me there's a reason for it."

Right?

"Lesson three." Batman moved on, his gaze going to Robin's waist, "Never go anywhere without your utility belt. That is what today's lesson is really about."

Robin looked down at his waist, his face reddening. "Oh, shit...it's uh- ack!"

Before he could even try to block, Robin found himself back on the ground, groaning.

Batman looked down at him and sighed, shaking his head before walking over to The Batcomputer and sitting down to work.

"Ow..." Robin stayed down for a moment, looking up at the bats flying circles about him.

He understood why Katherine hated them so much; the noise they made really did get under your skin.

Robin got up off the ground again and brushed himself down, cursing under his breath as he walked over to see what Batman was doing.

"You're calling Catgirl?" He raised a brow, "But I thought-"

"You were right." Batman finally admitted, "Katherine should be here."

"Do you think something's wrong?" Robin started to worry a little.

He'd been worrying about Katherine a lot lately.

She wasn't herself.

Batman glanced over his shoulder, asking, "Do you know something about Katherine you haven't said?"

Jason tensed, "Uh-"

"You've...uh, this is my- Birdy, they know my name. If they didn't why would they call-"

Saved by her voicemail.

"This is Katherine's phone, just leave a message after the beep and I'll teach her-"

Batman hung up the moment he heard Dick's voice.

"She'll be fine, I'm sure." Jason nervously laughed, "Sure she just ran into some cute cat or something.."

"Lesson two." Batman repeated, "Katherine Kyle cannot be trusted."

**********

Dick woke up feeling groggy.