CHAPTER 43

|Gotham City
|December 20 2013, 04:52

"What's the time?" Katherine asked.

It was the first thing either of them had said for the past five minutes.

Nightwing stayed by her window, barely whispering, "5."

"Running late then." Katherine zipped up her catsuit, not letting his guilty emotion get to her.

They both knew what happened to her was on Felix at the end of the day; even if she willingly ran into the fire, he started it.

"Jason's going on patrol for the first time tonight." She changed the subject, turning around once she was decent, "He came by yesterday to tell me he'd finished his theory training."

"The cigarette was his then." Nightwing muttered to himself, "So much for quitting."

"Hey." She turned around to look at him properly, "You know better than anyone being Robin is stressful- and I'm more than experienced when it comes to dealing with Bruce's shit too, so we should cut the kid a bit of slack, ok? As long as he passes his drug tests, he'll be fine-"

"You mean as long as he knows how to hack them." Nightwing corrected, not agreeing with her at all.

Jason knew why he couldn't smoke as Robin but chose to do it anyway. It was nothing short of stupid.

"Don't put words in my mouth, Birdy." Katherine gave him a small smile, "I just want what's best for the kid."

"Which is why you're about to tell me you're going on patrol with them, right?" Nightwing sighed at her sheepish expression, "Katherine, please-"

"I'll be fine!" Katherine assured, "Really, I'm just watching from afar. I already stopped Jason from going on patrol once, I'm not going to do it again. If he and Bruce run into anyone, I'll step in so Bruce doesn't have to worry about Jason, but if not then I'll just leave them to it. You know I've never been one to get involved in The Dynamic Duo's thing."

"Yeah, well sometimes I wish you did." Nightwing paused for a moment before quickly giving into her. "Fine. I'll leave you tonight, let you do your mom stuff- but you better not push yourself, Katherine."

"Yes." She nodded, holding up her hand, "I, Katherine Kyle, swear not to- pfff-" she couldn't hold her laughter back anymore.

"Katherine, I'm serious." Nightwing warned, "Don't do anything reckless today."

"Please!" She grinned, "When have I ever done anything even remotely reckless?"

**********

Catgirl managed to go as far as an hour without doing anything that would be classed as 'reckless' in Nightwing's book.

"Catgirl!"

Robin spun his knife between his fingers, "I think he's talking to you." He said, narrowing his eyes behind her at where Nightwing was supervising the team's sparring.

He'd not taken her eyes off Catgirl since the zeta'd in.

"Ignore him. Come at me again." Catgirl ignored him and fixed her footing, "You could use the last minute knife training before you go out tonight."

Robin was happy to ignore him too.

"Yeah?" He smiled, getting back into a fighting stance, "You think I'll get stabbed on my first night with both you and Batman there?"

"You have to be ready-"

"Ready for anything." Robin finished for her, "Yeah, yeah, I know. Just show me that disarm technique again before I stab you for real."