CHAPTER 79

|The Free Clinic, Gotham City
|April 5 2014, 15:00

"Wow." Leslie looked genuinely shocked to see Katherine in her waiting room, "You got her to come." She said to Dick.

Dick tapped his hands on Katherine's wheelchair handles. "She couldn't escape it."

"I can see that." Leslie looked at the chair with a frown, moving aside to let Dick wheel it into her office.

"So what happened?" Leslie asked after the door had been closed.

"I fell." Katherine was somewhat embarrassed to admit.

"That's common with old age." Leslie noted.

"She shattered her hip." Dick added.

"Unfortunately that is quite common too." Leslie lowered the bed and asked, "Are you able to..?" Trailing off when Katherine stood up out of the chair and walked over to the bed, much to Dick's disapproval.

"She's in the chair to prevent it happening again." Dick explained, now standing by the bed incase she tried to move again, "Her stamina is little to nothing now." He looked down at her with a unamused expression. "She's lucky she managed to make it that far without collapsing."

"But her hip healed on it's own." Leslie pointed out, "So her body hasn't completely shut down yet."

"That doesn't change the fact there's nothing for her." Dick quietly said, his eyes shifting to the ground.

Katherine took his hand and told Leslie, "I came today to get a rough estimate of how long I have left so he-" she pointed to Dick with her free hand, "-has at least some idea when I'm checking out. I'm going to end up killing him too if I have to see him worry about me any longer."

Leslie gave Dick a sympathetic look before nodding and telling Katherine to, "Remove your shirt so I can hook you up to the ECG."

"The machine with the stickies." Katherine sighed, letting go of Dick's hand, "You better stop your worrying after this."

Dick nodded, silently leaving the room.

"You shouldn't scold him for worrying, you know." Leslie said as she wheeled the machine over to the bed, "He cares about you."

"And? I care about him too, you know." Katherine rolled her eyes, laying down, "He just cares too much."

"He loves you."

"That's his mistake." Katherine stared up at the ceiling as Leslie started to stick the wires on her scarred skin.

"The lotion?" Leslie wondered.

"Pointless."

"Right." She sighed, looking back at the door to repeat, "Dick loves and cares for you a lot. It's not my place-"

"Then stay in your place." Katherine shut her down, "I never wanted this."

"I know." Leslie apologised, "I'm sorry both of you have to go through this so young."

"Please." Katherine smiled, "I'm older than you in cat years. I'll be what, 76?"

"In human years you're only 20." Leslie turned the machine on. "You're still just a kid."

"I've not been a kid since I put on the cowl." Katherine opened her eyes to watch the machine do it's job, "I was 4 at the time, so it's safe to say I've never really been 'just a kid', Leslie."

"The Gotham Bank." Leslie shook her head, "If your mother ever escapes prison and shows her face in my clinic..." she fell silent once she saw the results on the monitor shift.

Katherine knew she meant no harm but struggled to relax after it.

In total she'd lost 5/9 of her lives.

2 of those her mother took directly.

"It's Belle Reve." Katherine assured, "Even I don't have a way to get out of there again."

And as long as Felix didn't have a way to get in, Catwoman would be able to live her sentence.

Either way she'd be dying in that prison.

Just like she should.

"You're the same as before as far as your heart goes; slower but not yet failing." Leslie turned off the machine, hesitating to pull the stickers off Katherine's chest.

Katherine took a deep breath and grabbed all the wires, yanking them all off at once.

Dick burst in the second he heard her yell.

"What did I just tell you about-?!" Katherine saw Leslie give her a look. She bit her tongue and pulled her shirt back on stating, "If that fire didn't literally burn the tits off me I'd of taken your eyes out for barging in like that." She grumbled, holding up her claws, about the only non-human thing about her body that still worked perfectly.

"I'd like to check your blood next." Leslie continued, "Then I'd like a urine sample, if you're able to get one."

"Whatever you want, doc." Katherine muttered, "Not as if I'll be coming back for another of these anytime soon."

Word Count: 786

Questions