3 ~ No rain, no flowers

Evelyn slipped on the grey dress she spotted in her closet earlier, she didn't want to stick out too much considering the mourning had started for the Crawley family

Evelyn slipped on the grey dress she spotted in her closet earlier, she didn't want to stick out too much considering the mourning had started for the Crawley family. She let her hair down to shake it out a bit before pulling it back up a bit messily. While working to tuck her thick waves into a ribbon, she stood in front of the window to admire the view and also use the glass as a partial mirror. The weather was sunny and bright; however, she could see a bit of grey off in the distance. She smiled to herself figuring rain would be moving over Downton pretty soon - she absolutely adored the rain.

A knock and the sound of the door cracking open caught Evelyn's attention as she turned to see Anna with a piece of paper in her hand. "Mises Patmore told me to tell you she is forever grateful for you." She laughed and handed Evelyn the list.

"She says that about every day doesn't she?"

"Well, that means she means it. We all do."

Evelyn smiled and grabbed her small bag off her bed. The two walked out of the room and stood in the hall. "I meant to ask how Mister Bates was doing? Is he doing ok so far? I know it's only his first day but...how do you all feel? I don't mean that hatefully at all - "

"I know you don't. Trust me, I know. The thought has crossed all of our minds. As you said, it's only his first day but he does seem very capable."

"I believe you." Evelyn nodded her head asking Anna to follow her to the stairs. "He's cute for an older man, don't you think?"

Anna laughed a bit and blushed, Evelyn grinned. "I suppose he is, yes. I didn't really notice his 'kind eyes' until you mentioned them...they're very nice."

"Do you like him?" Anna began to stammer. "Not like that, dear. You only just met him I know that. I meant does he seem like a good man?"

"Yes, he does. He seems very genuine and kind..." Evelyn could sense the worry in Anna's voice.

"Which means Thomas and O'Brien will devour him like wolves." She finished Anna's unspoken thoughts.

"Exactly."

Evelyn said. "Keep an eye on him...and them. Let me know if you suspect any foul play." She semi-joked.

"Will do. You seem to have a way with Thomas, he might discontinue all evil if you asked him."

Evelyn rolled her eyes. "Highly unlikely. I have no effect over Thomas, I can assure you of that."

Anna smiled. "If you say so. Enjoy the visit to the village. Lady Mary is already in the car by the way." Evelyn began making her way down the stairs. "Oh!" She turned back to Anna who was smiling knowingly. "It looks like it might rain later."

"I hope it does." Evelyn shimmied her shoulder like a child dancing excitedly and bounded down the stairs.

Making her way through the foyer she continued her usual humming until she heard a very familiar voice coming from the sitting room beside the library. Evelyn closed her eyes and took a deep breath to prepare herself for what she was to encounter as she had to say hello or face the wrath of the Dowager Countess - though, to Violet Crawley, Evelyn would still manage to mess up a simple hello. She poked her head in the sitting room to see Cora and Violet chatting.