28 ~ I don't like ships...or men

Evelyn ascended the last step into the servants' hall but froze in place, her hand gripping the rail as she stared at the chipped paint of the wall

Evelyn ascended the last step into the servants' hall but froze in place, her hand gripping the rail as she stared at the chipped paint of the wall. She felt at any moment that the contents of her stomach might just paint the wall itself. Her heart ached...she hadn't realized it had gotten away from her, really. She could feel wet droplets hitting her collarbones, yet her face felt numb and unaware of the tears.

"Mises Patmore I'll do what I can! I'm not a magician." Anna shouted as she shoved a dishtowel into her apron pocket. She stopped short when she saw Evelyn's unmoving back facing her. "You're back already?"

Evelyn sniffed and turned to her, Anna's smile fell into complete worry. "Oh God, Evie -"

"Matthew proposed to Mary..." She said through a confused smile as she bit her wet lips. 

Anna stood stiff and shocked before shaking her head and gripping Evelyn's shoulder. "No...no that's impossible he -"

"He doesn't love me, Anna. I was stupid to think that. I was stupid to let my heart get away from me..."

"I don't believe that for one minute! At least...he seemed like such an honest type. Come on...I'll make you some tea."

Evelyn shook her head. "No, I don't want anyone asking questions. Can we go outside?"

Anna nodded. "Of course."

The two women quietly shuffled down the hall and passed the lingering staff to be met with the chilly evening breeze and the familiar smell of Thomas's cigarettes. Evelyn's eyes landed on the ashtray and the slightest hint of a nicotine plume where Thomas had been maybe ten minutes prior; however, for now, it was only the two of them.

Evelyn leaned against one of the stone walls before sliding down to sit on the gravel. Anna followed shortly after.

"This doesn't make sense, Anna..."

"You're right, it doesn't. Surely you misheard...what did you hear exactly?"

"Uncle Robert told me Matthew and Mary were in the dining room so I went to find them and I heard them talking and...something told me to stop and listen so I did. I heard the end of the conversation I suppose but Mary said 'what do you mean' and Matthew paused...but when he spoke I could hear the smile on his face...the tone in his voice changes when he smiles...he sounds like a giddy child..."

Evelyn's head dropped as her heart tightened. Anna's heart hurt as well for the poor girl, the flow of her voice clearly portrayed the love she had yet to fully discover for the man.

Lifting her head with a deep inhale, she continued. "And he said 'I mean...marriage.' And then I heard Mary gasp...and-" a shaky breath left her mouth, preventing her from continuing as her head sunk back to her chest.

Anna continued to rub her back as her brain swarmed with possible ways that this could have been a misunderstanding...then again...maybe the charming Matthew Crawley was no better than Pamuk. Anna then found herself getting rather angry...how dare he hurt their Evie. Anna threw her arms around Evelyn as the girl tried to suppress her tears.