13 ~ The Lawyer

Evelyn woke up with a groan and a stretch, her body feeling a bit stiff

Evelyn woke up with a groan and a stretch, her body feeling a bit stiff. With a huff, she gazed down at her leg that was propped up on several pillows. She smiled, knowing that Isobel's attentiveness was the reason she felt better. The smile lingered as she remembered her night with Ben, all things considered, it was very special to her. With a grunt, Evelyn swung her legs over the edge of her bed, letting her bandaged foot wiggle around a bit to wake it up.

A knock on her door was quickly followed by Anna who let out a sigh of relief. "Oh dear, how're you feeling?"

"I'm feeling alright. Sorry if I scared you. Wasn't my intention, I'm just in love with bad luck I guess."

Anna raised an eyebrow. "You're in love with Ben?"

"What? No. It's just an expression...I don't think I am. Not yet anyway...well...maybe a little." 

"Are you sure you didn't hit your head as well?" Anna joked as she smoothed out the pastel orange dress over her arm. "Well, up you are then! And no kitchen this morning."

Evelyn frowned. "Why not? Has Mises Patmore banned me again?"

"No, she hasn't. Though you shape bread dough into a rat and lay it on the counter again she might. His Lordship asked me to get you ready. A lawyer is coming to visit this morning, regarding you I would assume."

"Hm, he didn't tell me about this."

"He sounded a bit frazzled, I'm guessing the lawyer is coming earlier than expected. So...up!"

Evelyn slipped on the casual orange dress and let her hair fall in her loose curls down her back. She reluctantly put on shoes and fixed her necklace. 

Anna eventually came back into the room with an unrecognizable look on her face.

"What's that look for?" Evelyn raised her brow with a smile.

Anna clasped her hands in front of her and smiled. "He's here."

"You're acting weird. What's wrong with him?"

"Nothing...nothing at all. They're in the library."

------------------

Evelyn bounced down the stairs, gripping tightly to the railing since her foot was sliding around in her shoe due to the bandage. Making it to the bottom without any issues, she strode through the saloon to the library to see Robert and Cora sitting on one of the coaches talking to a man. The man's back was to her but she could clearly see his light brown, almost blond curls and broad shoulder.

Robert saw her and stood. "Ah, Evelyn, there you are. Come in."

The man stood as well and turned to Evelyn - she knew why Anna was acting weird. He was younger than she had expected, maybe in his early thirties. He was tall and slender with the obvious ripple of muscles through his snugly fitted navy blue pants and matching blazer. His face was clean-shaven over his high cheekbones and chiseled jaw, his skin was seemingly porcelain and flawless. His baby blue eyes were kind. His smile was bright white and just as kind as his eyes.