40 ~ Back to Work

A/N: Something tells me

A/N: Something tells me......you're gonna like this one🤔

---------------------

Evelyn's first night in her own bed wasn't what she had expected; as a matter of fact, it was better. She hadn't slept this good in a long time and it showed when she refused to let the sun peeking through the curtains disrupt her. While she felt the comfort of being home...they were still in the middle of a war - which might have been part of the reason she didn't want to get up. She wanted to revel in the peace a bit longer.

As Robert mentioned, he wanted her to go see Doctor Clarkson about her arm to make sure it was healing properly. Isobel had told her how the little old Downton hospital had become nearly overrun with the wounded who were able enough to be shipped back home; which, apparently, was quite a few of them.

Evelyn wasn't sure if she was entirely ready or not, but she had every intention to continue working when she could; however, that would be up to Doctor Clarkson. Sybil had begged Evelyn to try and work at the hospital with her - she knew Doctor Clarkson couldn't say no to Sybil so more than likely she would have a position when she was ready.

Evelyn got up and got dressed - best she could - as a normal morning Downton morning washed over her. A little smile graced her lips for most of it. Trotting down the stairs, she wandered into the breakfast room, seeing a newspaper and an empty mug sitting in her spot with a little note. Picking up the note, she grinned: Your spot welcomes you - Carson.

She gladly sat down, poured a cup of coffee, and scanned over the paper. Though most of the paper highlighted the terrors occurring across the world, there were a few articles covering a new flower cart in town, some furniture for sale, and a story of an elderly woman who had taken in nearly thirty stray kittens.

"This is a sight I've missed." Robert strolled in and placed a kiss on her head. "Good morning, dear."

"Good morning! Should I get a kitten?"

Robert raised a brow. "Do you want a kitten?"

"Maybe...it sounds fun. Isis might like a little friend." She looked by her side where Isis sat, tail wagging and big brown eyes begging for pets. "Isn't that right pretty girl. Yes." She scratched the dog's ear.

He hummed. "Yes, she might. I'll look into it for you."

She smiled. "You know you don't have to give me what I want just because I'm home."

"Bold of you to assume that I'm only entertaining my niece's wishes out of pitty." He challenged.

She chuckled. "Fair enough."

Cora stepped in, dressed and ready for the day with her coat and hat. She smiled seeing Evelyn at the table.

"And where are you off to this early?" Robert asked.