26 ~ A Very Merry Unbirthday

Generally in the Crawley home, the day before a birthday was quite a chaotic one with the deep cleaning for guests, the kitchen buzzing with mixing bowls and frying pans, and the hours choosing an outfit; however, the day before Evelyn's birthday ...

Generally in the Crawley home, the day before a birthday was quite a chaotic one with the deep cleaning for guests, the kitchen buzzing with mixing bowls and frying pans, and the hours choosing an outfit; however, the day before Evelyn's birthday was like any other day. Since Evelyn's birthday had followed the same plan since she arrived at Downton, it was fairly easy to prepare. The only preparation needed for the party was the preparation of some finger foods, pulling the picnic blankets and yard games from storage, and - the most important for Mrs. Patmore - making the cake.

That's exactly what she was doing, only an hour before her doctor's appointment - preparing Evelyn's cake. Mrs. Patmore stirred the few drops of orange food coloring into the buttercream icing as she decided having orange icing would go well with the orange flavoring. She had an ideal color in mind - nothing too orange and tacky, but rather a pastel orange to go with the flowers she had asked Daisy to pipe on. Satisfied with the perfect pastel orange, Mrs. Patmore moved her bowl beside the uniced, round chocolate cake.

-----------------

Evelyn chewed on her lip as she sat hunched over her vanity scribbling furiously at a letter. She would occasionally stop writing to think about what words to use next before continuing her blistering pace.

A quiet knock announced Cora's entrance into the room as she smiled at Evelyn's goofy state over her vanity. "How're you feeling, dear?"

Evelyn jumped and whipped her head around. "Goodness, you scared me. I'm feeling better. A little off but it could be much worse."

Cora nodded and took a seat on her bed. "Good. What're you writing so intently."

So she wouldn't have to look at her through the mirror, Evelyn turned her body around to face Cora and sighed. "Grandma."

"What for? I already wrote to her about the incident."

Evelyn nodded. "I know...I'm thinking a trip might do me some good."

Cora lifted her brow. "A trip? You want to go to America?"

"Only for a bit. I'd like to see grandma. It's been several years since I've seen her. And uncle Harold. Plus, now that I know I own everything...I'd like to see everything. Father's cars are in storage and I'd love to get them moved here -"

Cora lifted her hand and smiled. "You're rambling dear...beating around the bush. You don't have to explain why you want to go. Trust me I understand why you need to get away for a while."

Evelyn sighed. "Please don't think I want to get away from you or Uncle Robert that's not it at all I'm just...this is my home and lately it's been a bit unusual with everything that's gone on. I just need to clear my head."

Cora smiled. "We would never think that. And I think it's a wonderful idea. And I know Mother and Harold will be thrilled to see you. When do you think you'd like to leave?"