41 ~ Temporariness of a Day

A/N: Not gonna lie, I teared up writing this

A/N: Not gonna lie, I teared up writing this. Anyway...may I present to you...the moment we've all been waiting for

——————————

"I can't possibly come!" Sybil fussed at Tom. "Really, Mama is incorrigible."

Evelyn had only just walked into the ward from the medicine storage. She eyed them from the doorway.

"It's not poor Branson's fault." Isobel defended.

"But what is the point of Mama's soirees? What are they for?" Sybil complained.

Isobel noticed Evelyn in the doorway and smiled. She had only just got to the hospital after spending some time with her unexpected visitor prior. "Well, I'm going up for dinner tonight and I'm glad. Is that wrong? Evelyn, dear, why don't you take off early today, hm? Come join me at Downton before dinner."

Evelyn raised a brow. "I've only just started working I'd hate to already skip hours." She said sweetly.

"I think Clarkson would be quite alright with it." Isobel pushed.

Evelyn thought Isobel's request was odd and out of the blue. Sure they were close but close enough for her to request Evelyn's presence specifically? Odd.

She smiled. "I'll ask him."

She knew Clarkson would suggest she stay her full hours, but for Isobel's sake, she would ask.

"Wonderful!" She strode in the filing room, leaving Evelyn and Sybil to watch her oddly.

"What was that about?" Sybil asked.

Evelyn shrugged. "I don't know. It's odd. I'm flattered she asked me but...why didn't she ask you as well?"

"I wondered the same. Not that I mind. It's not like I'm going to be her future daughter-in-law."

Evelyn rolled her eyes.

"I'm serious. Maybe that's why. You're actually home now so she probably wants to spend time with you. That's probably all it is."

"Maybe...still. You have to get off as well. I'd feel awful leaving you here."

"Oh don't be daft. You know I don't mind. Plus, it sounds like I'll be leaving early as well anyway...per Mama's request." She scoffed.

Thomas stepped in with some blankets just as Isobel reemerged. "Thomas, you can cover for Nurse Crawley and Nurse Levinson, can't you?"

Thomas raised a brow, eyeing Evelyn. She only shrugged. "I can." He began making up a bed.

Tom strolled over to him, trying to be nice and spark up a conversation. "So you're back, then. Safe and sound."

Thomas hummed. "That's not how I'd put it with my hand the way it is."