37 ~ My dear Evelyn,

A/N: Shoutout to dorawarrior for the idea involving a very famous (and my favorite) author 👀

--------------------------

Matthew sat against the dirt wall of the trenches, keeping his head below the line like all of the other soldiers tried to do to avoid enemy eyes. He picked at the bread rations they were given, savoring the only time he had been able to eat today - even though it was probably close to midnight.

He leaned his head back, resting his messy blond hair on the damp dirt as he stared up at the stars. He smiled a bit at the beautiful sight. He began to locate the different constellations like he did when he was a child, enjoying the moment of peace as most of the soldiers slept.

Reaching up to his chest pocket, he undid the already worn-out button - this motion had become second nature to him. He pulled out the picture of Evelyn that Sybil had given to him and admired it. He tucked his legs to chest and rested his chin on his knees as his eyes scanned over the sight more beautiful to him than the stars. He wondered where she was...if she got his letter...if she had moved on. Until he knew though, he held out hope that she was still his.

"She hasn't changed much."

That voice sent a chill down Matthew's spine as he shot to his feet ready to unsheath his pistol. Grant held up his hands and chuckled.

"We all have a common enemy, Matthew, no need to turn on each other."

Matthew tucked the photo safely into his pocket, never taking his eyes off the man he despised almost as much as the Germans. As much as he hated to admit it...Grant was right. "Why're you here?"

Grant shrugged. "Serving my King and Country of course."

"No...how did you get out of prison? You had a court date."

"The family dropped the charges."

Matthew chuckled. "Dropped the charges? After you tried to kill their niece? I find that rather hard to believe."

"The court couldn't get a date in time and a war conveniently started so they dropped the charges so I could enlist...got me out of the country so I don't see what the big deal is."

Matthew wasn't convinced.

"Listen, Matthew...that all happened two years ago. My actions were unforgivable and I understand why you're hesitant to trust me. I don't expect you to. But...as I said we all have a common enemy now and there is no need to fight one another. If you could feel the guilt I felt you'd understand. I was blinded by greed and hatred...I'm sorry."

Matthew still wasn't convinced...but he nodded. "Thank you."

"Of course. I'll head back to my bunker. Goodnight, sergeant." Grant saluted before leaving.