25 ~ Hero's Amelioration

A/N: I want to say that I am so amazed by the response the last two chapters received! Search and Rescue part 2 got to over 100 reads faster than any of my other chapters! You guys are legit the best readers ever

A/N: I want to say that I am so amazed by the response the last two chapters received! Search and Rescue part 2 got to over 100 reads faster than any of my other chapters! You guys are legit the best readers ever. All of your comments make me smile because I LOVE seeing so much engagement and love for Evie (and Matthew, of course).

I won't go into these appreciation spiels all the time I promise though if I could I would cause y'all are top-notch readers

Thank you all so so much!!!! Enjoy this bit of fluff🤗

---------------------

The blackout refugees huddled in the warm room as they occupied their minds the best they could: some dozed, some chatted in hushed whispers, some crocheted, some (Robert) paced the room nonstop.

Daisy occupied herself by sitting in the library window as she deemed herself to be the designated lookout. She stared out the window down the long drive and nervously chewed on her nails.

"Daisy if you don't stop chewing on your fingers you won't have any left." Anna scolded playfully.

Daisy pulled her hand from her lips and shoved it into her pocket. "I can't 'elp it. I'm worried about Evie. It's been so long. What if they wrecked? What if Grant killed them? What if -" She craned her neck while staring back outside. "A car!"

Daisy's shouted, waking up every dozing body and startling the awake ones. Robert rushed to the window and gasped. "It's Tom. Everyone stay here...let me talk to him first...just in case."

Robert jogged out the door into the humid air. The storm has died down only less than an hour ago but the chill and damp air lingered. His feet carried him quickly across the muddy drive to Tom.

"Where are they?"

Tom hopped out and sighed. "They're all alive, at least."

Robert closed his eyes and thanked God silently.

"Thomas, Matthew, and Evelyn are with Doctor Clarkson now."

"Are they injured?"

Tom nodded. "Nothing terrible...at least for Thomas and Matthew. Evelyn's a bit worse off but Doctor Clarkson didn't seem all too concerned."

Robert motioned for him to follow him. "Explain to the others what you know. Come on."

The men wandered into the house and to the library where they were met with worried and curious eyes. Tom nervously cleared his throat. "Everyone's alright," the room sighed. "But there was quite a fight. Thomas, Matthew, and Evelyn are with Doctor Clarkson. I don't know the exact conditions but I do know that Thomas has a broken nose, Matthew has a few puncture wounds in his shoulder, and Evelyn...well I don't really know yet. She lost consciousness on the way to the hospital."

"Why?" Cora asked, rising to her feet.

Tom shook his head. "I don't know. The only people in the house were Thomas, Matthew, and Evelyn. The car had run off the road so Harry, Ben, and I stayed behind to try and get it out while Thomas and Matthew ran the rest of the way."