36 ~ Letters from home

A/N: Let's talk timeline

A/N: Let's talk timeline. I know I said when I actually got into season two I would stick to it's timeline; however, that's not gonna be the case right now. In the first episode of season 2, Matthew goes home after being on the Front for a while and that's where we meet Lavinia - she's not in this story though she will be mentioned. So, with that being said, Matthew is not going home yet but the concert will still go on for the sake of the family telling Evelyn about it.

So...I plan to continue the timeline after episode one when Thomas gets injured (which...I will say...I'm gonna change a bit). If I stick to the episode timeline I'll mention where we are based on episodes but if I go off script I'll also mention that as well. I watch the episodes as I write so I try my best to get the information and timelines right where I can.

Anyway...enjoy this chapter!

------------------

"The mail has arrived, My Lord. A large bundle of letters came in this morning...all with the same handwriting. I distributed them to the family already." Carson strode into the study and handed Robert a letter.

Robert raised a brow. "Thank you, Carson."

He gazed over the writing on the front which said his name and the Downton address. He noticed a familiar swoop on the end of the lowercase 'n'. Not bothering to grab his letter opener, he ripped into it and let the envelope hit the floor, his eyes scanning over the words as a smile formed on his face...however, the smile left as quickly as it appeared.

Sybil rushed into the study, a letter in her hand. "She's in France!"

Robert nodded. "Yes...I just found out myself."

Mary and Edith appeared by Sybil but before they could speak Robert jumped in. "Yes, she's in France we know."

Cora came through the study's other door. "Robert!"

"We know!" They all said.

Cora sat down on the couch and continued reading furiously, worry lacing her pale features. Her daughters joined her as Robert stood over them.

A well-known fast-paced clicking of heels approached as Violet rounded the corner. "She's gone mad! What woman of nobility joins the medical force! And to put herself at the forefront of the most dangerous country in probably the entire world right now! Ridiculous!"

Sybil shrugged. "I think she's quite brave..."

Little did the family know Sybil was beyond inspired by her cousin's letter. She had always looked up to Evelyn...this act "ridiculous" act of bravery was no exception.

"Brave?" Robert scoffed. "I have to agree with mother on this one."

Violet nodded. "Good on you."

"At least she had Thomas with her," Sybil remarked.

Everyone looked at her in shock.

"Oh..." She bit her lip. "I guess she didn't include that in your letters."