14 ~ Alls Fair in Heartbreak

Evelyn sat in the breakfast room sipping on her coffee with a book - her usual

Evelyn sat in the breakfast room sipping on her coffee with a book - her usual. William hummed as he carried in the dishes for breakfast and sat them neatly on the table. Evelyn smiled at him.

"Good morning, William."

"Good morning, Evie. Good read?" He gestured to the book on her hands.

She nodded. "Yes, The Secret Garden. Thomas gave it to me." William sneered a bit at the mention of that name. "You and Thomas at each other's throats again?"

William sighed and shoved his hands into his pockets as he glanced out of the room to check if the coast was clear. Evelyn, noticing his careful action, leaned forward curiously.

"So the carnivals coming into town next week, right?" Evelyn nodded. "Well...I figured I'd ask Daisy to go with me. I fancy her a bit, and thought it would be a good opportunity. Right before I asked her, Thomas spoke over me and asked her! And you know Daisy's got eyes for him and I have no clue why...he's quite awful."

Evelyn smiled sympathetically. "Yes, that sounds like something Thomas would do. I'm sorry, William. Daisy's young, and a bit nieve, and doesn't yet know what's best for her. Thomas is handsome and mysterious in an intriguing way but I will even admit that he can be a snake. Daisy will see William, eventually. She'll see the kind, hardworking, strong man that you are and she'll regret her young, dumb decisions."

William smiled gratefully. "Thank you, Evelyn."

Thomas walked in with a tray looking rather annoyed. "And what are you doing, William? Mises Patmore bout had my ass because you hadn't come down to get the rest of the dishes. Now get, before Carson decides to blame me for that too." He spat. William rolled his eyes and scurried out of the room.

Evelyn smirked as she figured she'd tease the information out of Thomas.

"Thomas?" She said sweetly.

After placing the dish down, he turned to her with a charming smile. "Yes?"

"Are you going to the fair next week?"

"I had planned on it, yes. Why?"

"Well, I was wondering if you would like to go with me? I don't think we've gotten to spend enough time together and it might be fun." She batted her eyelashes.

Thomas's smile fell as he mentally cursed himself. "I'll have to move some things around."

"Things....what things?"

"I...asked someone to go with me already and I -"

"Oh...I see." Evelyn's eyes lowered in fake disappointment as she frowned. "Maybe next time then."

Thomas panicked. "Well-"

"Mister Barrow, might I ask what you are doing up here? And looking rather crazed." Carson narrowed his eyes at the footman.