33 ~ Helpless

A/N: My lovely readers have spoken (and I wholeheartedly agree) so I think it's time to end the suffering!

A/N: My lovely readers have spoken (and I wholeheartedly agree) so I think it's time to end the suffering!..for Matthew anyway.

Also, I will say, though I've done research on the war, I'm not going to be 100% accurate when it comes to dates and such because I want things to move along. The information about the nurses is accurate, however (I hope). Now, when I get into season two, I won't be changing much, if anything at all, that's mentioned in the show.

Enjoy!

---------------

The last month had flown by, but not without its fair share of troubles for the family and the staff. All news that had left Evelyn rather down in the weeks before she was to return to Downton.

Evelyn received the news that Cora found out she was pregnant and Evelyn couldn't have been happier to know that she would soon have a new baby cousin; however, a fall resulted in Cora losing the baby. Evelyn wanted nothing more than be there for her Aunt during this heartbreaking time; but, she knew her family had rallied around her to comfort her.

Thomas had written to Evelyn explaining that he planned to resign from Downton and decided to go into the medical field but promised her that he would not be leaving her. Evelyn was surprised at the vagueness of Thomas's letter...she knew there was a lot he wasn't telling her.

Mary expressed to Evelyn how Edith had written to the Turkish Embassy regarding her involvement with Pamuk in an attempt to cause a scandal. This didn't surprise Evelyn very much - it seemed like something dramatic Edith would do. Mary warned Evelyn on the chance that Edith might have tried to screw her over in a way she hadn't realized yet - she highly doubted it. Mary also mentioned that Edith had taken interest in Sir Antony - Evelyn knew what Mary would do with that information.

In Anna's letter, she was distraught that a note to Mister Bates regarding his alleged theft from a former employer had fallen into O'Brien's hands. Anna, of course, refused to believe these allegations, and frankly so did Evelyn. Evelyn knew Anna was working tirelessly to prove this wrong.

Robert informed Evelyn of the tragedy surrounding the world at the moment as Archduke Ferdinand of Austria had been assassinated and thus stirred up quite the rage; however, he assured her it would be handled - as he always did.

Sybil was the only one mentioning some good news in her letters. Apparently, she had made some progress in getting Gwen a secretary job. Also, it would seem that she and Tom have developed a small - on the down-low - relationship. Something Evelyn was in full support of and couldn't be happier to hear.

Through all of the letters she had received...none of them mentioned Matthew at all. She didn't know if that made her feel relief or upset her more.

July 28th marked Evelyn's day of departure. She had eaten breakfast with her grandmother and uncle before she headed upstairs to finish packing. With the nonstop shopping her grandmother had insisted on doing, she brought Evelyn three more bags to carry her new array of outfits and accessories. Plus all of the gifts she had gotten for everyone back home.