15 ~ The Turkish Diplomat

Evelyn strolled back into the house after saying her goodbyes to Grant, a small smile still lingering on her face though her heart still stung a bit

Evelyn strolled back into the house after saying her goodbyes to Grant, a small smile still lingering on her face though her heart still stung a bit. To avoid the questions about her behavior earlier this morning, Evelyn decided to head downstairs for a bit. Mrs. Patmore was at her usual station while mixing like a madwoman and barking orders. 

"Mises Patmore, where's Anna?"

"How am I supposed to bloody know!"

Evelyn grinned and left the kitchen, running into Thomas. She could tell that he had just come back in from having a cigarette since the smell was strong.

"You know, I don't appreciate being teased." He spoke warningly with a hint of mischief in his eyes.

"Our entire relationship consists of teasing, Thomas."

"Oooooo. Relationship. Don't tell Benny he'll be upset."

Evelyn's cheerful demeanor immediately deflated. "You won't have to worry about Ben anymore...he left."

Thoma's face screwed into anger and slight relief. "He left?" he spoke harshly. Evelyn nodded. "Where did he go?"

"Essex is what he said in the letter."

"He wrote you a letter? That's it?"

"Yes...that's it. I'll be ok, Thomas. I'm just a bit...heartbroken. Nothing serious."

"Knew that would happen."

Evelyn rolled her eyes. "Heartbreak is a part of life, right." She smiled sadly. "So, I'll see in ten years when I get a ring from a man who won't break my heart, aye? Have you seen Anna?"

Thomas hesitated for a minute as he thought, not about Anna but about Evelyn. "She's in her room."

She patted his arm before heading to Anna's room. Out of habit, Evelyn simply walked into Anna and Gwen's room, causing the women to whip around and shield something behind them.

"Oh, Evie. It's just you." Gwen sighed.

"What a warm welcome." Evelyn smiled playfully.

"Get in here and shut the door!" Anna urged.

"Ok ok, jeesh." Evelyn closed the door completely before turning back to the two covert maids. "Now what are you hiding?" Gwen and Anna moved out of the way to reveal a typewriter, Evelyn's eyes widened as she moved closer to observe it. "Whoa...who's is this?"

"Mine," Gwen said with a smile.

"What's it for?" Evelyn asked as she ran her fingers over the keys.

"You make words with it," Anna said mockingly.

Evelyn shot her a glare. "I know what it does. Why do you have it?" 

"Is this the mystery lover?" Anna asked Gwen.