35 ~ Familiar embrace

As they were told, the hospital wasted no time loading the forty nurses into ambulances and chartering them to the docks

As they were told, the hospital wasted no time loading the forty nurses into ambulances and chartering them to the docks. The women had worked for this moment - getting to be so close to the Front Line and help the soldiers; however, nothing could prepare them for the feeling of getting closer and closer to that moment. The eerie feeling was made worse by the fact that a caravan of ambulances hauled forty women to the Delaware Bay in the dead of night.

Evelyn and Cynthia sat side by side, their hands tightly gripped to try and ease their nausea - it wasn't helping much.

"It's ok...we've trained for this." Evelyn tried to reassure.

"Trained for what? Bombs?" Grace mumbled.

Evelyn huffed at her. "Yes, actually, we had a bomb drill."

"Once!" Annie argued.

"...like I was saying..." Evelyn tried to continue. "We're not being put on the Front Line...just close. We'll be ok. Our only concern is taking care of the men. Which...we've been trained to do and they trust us to be the best they have so that should ease you, right?"

"What if we kill someone?" Mary said in a daze.

"I doubt seriously it would be your fault in they died, Mary. Some of the men will probably be so mutilated there won't be anything we can do." Grace retorted.

Annie rolled her eyes. "That's lovely, Grace, thank you."

"It's true! But fine, shield yourself from reality."

Cynthia sighed and leaned her head against the metal wall of the ambulance, closing her eyes. Evelyn felt bad but she knew Grace was right. Her eyes landed on Laura who hadn't spoken a word since their encounter at the hospital. Laura, like Cynthia, had her head resting on the wall with her eyes closed. Evelyn knew she needed to make peace with her at some point...but not before she came to her senses about why her mindset was wrong.

An hour passed before the ambulances arrived at the dock and they let the women make their way into the ship. Evelyn groaned...another ship. This one was quite a bit smaller than the ones she had been on before. It was a dingy white in color with a large red stripe on one side and a giant red cross.

 It was a dingy white in color with a large red stripe on one side and a giant red cross