Chapter 28: Here

Today, we'll have to question Demi.

I don't know why the idea scares me so much, but it takes everything in me to swing my feet over the side of the bed and throw my fuzzy white blanket from my shoulders. I drag my feet on the floor, making my way to my closet to dress in my uniform.

I can't remember the last time I'd had to wear it. Grey never makes us, and he's not usually in his uniform either. I swallow, thinking about the way his usual black shirt hugs his arms, turning to my mirror to comb through my hair.

I look at the alarm clock resting on my bedside table, red numbers blinking on the black screen. It's not as if I actually needed it to wake me; I hadn't ever fallen asleep last night. I can't shake the feeling that we're going to do some cruel things to Demi, and what if Ky is right?

What if she's innocent?

Realizing I only have 15 minutes to get to the Top Floor, I shove my thoughts to the back of my mind.

I gently knock on Ky's door. For all I know, Ky's still mad at me, but I don't want to walk upstairs without him. I could wait for Grey. I could walk up with Merida and Neveah. I could even burden Donte.

But I need Ky. Ky's always been there for me when I'm sad. He's my little brother, but he's also my friend. No matter what I was going through, he comforted me when I needed comforting. He joked with me when I needed a laugh. Surely he'll want to walk with me? Surely he won't say no. Demi was Ky's friend, and he needs someone there too.

Ky opens his door softly, gazing down at me with reddened hazel eyes. I ignore the gnawing feeling in my stomach that he's still angry with me and wrap my arms around him, giving him a hug.

"It'll be okay," I murmur.

"I don't want to hurt her," he grunts back.

I sigh against my brother's shoulder. I can't see his face, but I can tell he has mixed feelings about today. I peer up at him to try to confirm my suspicions, but his face is stolid. I've always found it's harder to comfort someone who's taller than me, so I just hug him even harder.

Ky puts his hands on my shoulders to separate us, still wearing the same expression. "Do you think she's gonna die?"

"I don't know."

"Grey won't make us do bad things," Ky states, and it sounds like he's trying to convince himself of the fact. He shifts uncomfortably. "If he does, I'm going to refuse."

A low voice mutters something behind us, and I recognize the baritone immediately. "Luckily for you," Grey practically growls, "you won't need to take any orders from me."

I keep my eyes fixed on the back of his head as he pushes past us, focusing on the unruly texture of his midnight hair. I feel my stomach clench with nerves when Donte follows closely behind him, shooting me a look. One that says: "walk with me".

I glance at Ky remorsefully before he sighs. "Go on."

Donte waits for me to catch up to him before talking. I lean closer to him to hear what he's saying. "Sorry. I know you were trying to walk with your brother."

"What is it?" I inquire, raising my eyebrow in concern.

Donte's golden caramel eyes burn with worry, but he stares ahead of him at Grey's advancing body. "He's different this morning."

I push through the smooth metal entrance, my light skin contrasting with the dark, black door. I hold it open for Donte, then presume to grip the old, red railings that frame the staircase. "Yesterday you said he'd be okay. What happened?"