Chapter 20: Uncaring

A hand on my shoulder shakes me awake. I resist the urge to groan, bringing my fingers up to rub my eyes. My neck is sore as if I'd fallen asleep leaning against a hard headboard.

And then I realize that I did.

I don't remember falling asleep, nor do I remember doing so in Grey's bedroom. I sit up, finding a small yukos still resting on Grey's couch with an IV in his arm. He looks so vulnerable, as if the slightest touch would wither him away.

I force my attention back on Grey. "Why didn't you wake me?" I ask.

"I thought I'd let you sleep," he answers, getting up from his place by the side of the bed. "I know yesterday was rough for you."

I shrug, recalling the events of yesterday. "There's nothing I can do about it," I chuckle. "You're an official. I have to obey you."

Grey frowns. "You're opinion still matters."

"Two against one," I reply, pulling off the blanket that was draped over my legs. "My opinion didn't matter yesterday. It's fine."

"I thought you trusted me enough not to lie to me, Marcus."

I avoid his heavy expression and leave my place on his bed. Donte sits on the floor next to the couch Nixon is sleeping on, his eyes outlined with dark circles as he rubs his temples. I walk over to him and place a hand on his shoulder.

"Have you been awake all night?" I murmur quietly, worried that if I spoke too loud, I'd give him a headache.

"He has," Grey answers for him. "Val and I haven't." He motions towards the raven-haired girl sleeping quietly in the corner.

"Nonsense, I'm okay," Donte murmurs.

The form on the couch stirrs, causing everyone in the room to freeze. Nixon slowly blinks open his eyes, a small sound coming from the back of his throat. I force myself to stare into those pale blue orbs, swallowing down whatever I'm feeling. Some color has returned to his chocolate brown skin, and he already looks more alive than yesterday. He's still skin and bones, but at least he has a fighting chance now.

But why do I care?

Donte rises and fills Nixon's IV with some other liquid. "I've managed to eradicate the parasites in his system. Leechite is quite curable, just incredibly deadly. All we have to do now is get some weight on him."

I peer down at Nixon, taking in his features once more. Something's missing.

The diamond on his face has disappeared, as if it was never there in the first place. I suprise myself and my comrades when I lean down and run my finger over his cheek. Concealer powder rubs off, a dark, cocoa brown.

"I went to the pharmacy on Floor 13," Val says from her spot in the corner. She must have just woken up. "I had a bit of trouble matching his skin tone, but I think I did a pretty good job."

"You did," I murmur. "I can't even see it."

"He's been through so much," Donte whispers. "I can't imagine how he got so skinny. Did we do this?"

"Are you kidding?" I snap, turning to glare at my doctor. "We're helping him right now. You can't possibly be blaming Gambos for this."

From behind me, Grey sighs. Val groans. Even Donte looks annoyed.

I feel all their eyes on me, and suddenly I'm overcome with even more rage. "What?!" I hiss.

"Kirbena, you're convinced all yukos had something to do with killing your mother," Donte says. "Nixon wasn't even alive when she went missing."