Chapter 42: Bulletproof

"Knock, knock!" a voice yells from outside my door. An hour ago, after my visit with the Chancellor, Donte had come in and told me I was ready to move back to my own room. It was a relief. It had been ages since I felt I last showered, and I was itching to wear my own combat boots again.

The voice belonged to Val. She opens my door and peeks inside, grinning cheekily when she sees me. She opens it up wider and lets herself in. Merida enters much more hesitantly.

"Hi?" I call back questioningly. The last time Val was in my room was when we were having an anime marathon before Grey came to teach us elements.

"Based on your reaction, I guess you haven't heard?" Val asks, raising her eyebrow. "There's a dance tonight!"

"Tonight?! I thought it would be in a week or something!" I exclaim.

"So you did know?" Merida pipes up.

"Yeah, I knew. The chancellor told me, but I guess I didn't hear his announcement."

Val and Merida both freeze, turning to stare at me wide eyed. I stare back, a confused smile forming on my face. "Did I say something?"

"Just that the chancellor himself told you!" Val squeals.

I laugh. "Yeah, he did. He needed to discuss some things with me."

"Discuss what kind of things?" Merida giggles, wiggling her eyebrows. I groan and throw a pillow at her. She covers her face with her hands, and the pillow bounces off her arms with a plop.

"Gross," I mutter, making a face.

Val makes some weird noise that sounds like a grunt. "Um, not gross. That man is beautiful, just lemme say..."

"Val!" I squeak.

Val puts her arms up in a surrendering position. "What? It's true!"

Merida giggles again. "I agree with her! He's just as beautiful as Ky!" Val and I raise our eyebrows, staring at Merida until she realizes what she said. Her cheeks light up bright red, almost the shade of a tomato. "Oh my gosh..." she murmurs. "I just said that out loud...in front of his sister..."

Val and I burst out laughing, only making Merida more uncomfortable. "Don't worry about it!" I gasp in between fits of laughter. "I won't tell him!"

"Yeah," Val splutters. "I bet he'd dance with you if you asked him!"

"Stop it, guys..." Merida mumbles, her eyes not leaving the floor. "What's so funny, anyway? Kirbena already knew..."

I stop my laughter quickly and gesture to myself. "I did?"

Merida blushes even harder at her second mistake. "I thought you'd assume after you saw me drawing him."

"Woah," Val chokes, still struggling to catch her breath. "You were drawing him? What?"

"Oh yeah!" I exclaim. "It was literally right before you came, Val!"

"Well, I assumed you liked Neveah," Merida mutters. "Was I right?"

I stare at the red haired girl in front of me. "Neveah? I thought we went over this." I think about everything I've learned so far. "Besides, I don't think he's interested in someone like me."

"Oh please, honey," Val mutters sarcastically. "What's not to like? You're beautiful! Your hair, your eyes, even your figure! I'm jealous of you."

"R-really?" I ask, not expecting the slay of compliments.

"Any guy would want you!" Merida sighs. "You're lucky!"

Any guy?

"Well, thanks you guys," I laugh, feeling better than I have in a while.