Chapter 30: Gunshot

I stare up at the sky, watching the clouds gently change shape as I run my hands over the soft, green grass. Frogs croak and birds chirp in my ears, but the swan that takes residence here has disappeared, flown off to some destination unknown to me. It's not quite autumn yet, and it doesn't feel any colder.

Well, climate-wise.

Things do feel cold, but not in the way where I wish I was bundled up in a scarf or an oversized jacket. The mood is cold, and things are almost frozen, like a movie playing in black and white. I can't exactly place my finger on it, but I have this feeling that something is about to happen. Something worse than what's already happened.

I try to brainstorm everything that's going on right now, and I feel dizzy doing so. Luci's frustrated, the cause kept secret from me, but I know something is obviously bothering him. Neveah's his usual carefree self, along with Merida, who never questioned their part in Demi's torture. Val remains oblivious, although when it was her turn against Demi, she had her reservations. Grey's poker face has improved after witnessing more of her suffering, but he has a history of hiding his feelings.

And then there's Demi herself.

It's my turn to question her today. Everyone else has already done their part, blindly following instructions given to them through their earpiece. Ky was first, and then Merida, and then Neveah, and then Val, probably going in order from Demi's favorite to her least favorite. That just leaves me, and there's a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach after watching what my squad had to do. Yet, even through everything, she hasn't said a word, spilled a single secret, let any pain show. Being a fast healing yukos, her wounds heal more quickly than normal, usually being closed within a couple of hours. It doesn't annoy me, but I'm sure it annoys the government.

"Are you worried?" a young voice asks.

Nixon jolts me from my thoughts, and I'd almost forgotten that I decided to bring him outside the fence with me. He knots the blades of grass in his hand, full of new found energy, of health. His voice is stronger, no longer shaky, and has evened out into a lower tone much like one going through puberty.

"Yeah, Nixon. I kinda am."

"About Demi?"

I sigh, breaking out into a small chuckle, although there's no humor in it. "Actually, yes."

Nixon's eyebrows twitch as if he's surprised by my answer.

"What they're doing is cruel," I murmur. "I'm gonna have to hurt her today."

"So, you're going to do what they tell you?" Nixon inquires, bringing his pale blue eyes to the side of my face. I debate the question and my answer, unsure of whether I should even be talking to him about this in the first place.

"Honestly," I sigh, meeting his eyes. They contrast with his dark skin, and for a minute he looks beautiful and fierce, like a warrior. "I don't want to. But what else can I do?"

"Are you worried about being demoted?"

It's my turn to be surprised. "How do you know that?"

Nixon nods. "I'm a good listener."

"I'm starting to get that."

It's silent for a minute, and I lose myself in the frogs and the birds and the wind in the trees. It's not until I hear Nixon's voice again that the cold feeling returns.

"Kirbena?"

His tone has changed again, but now it's much deeper and more hostile, and it causes me to freeze. I cast a look his way, and his new 'warrior' look has only intensified. He still stares at the side of my face.