Chapter 86: Sorry

Duck. Dodge. Strike. Repeat.

Duck. I duck out of the way of Val's blows easily, trying not to snort at the clumsy way she swings her arms. All her power is focused in the wrong places, causing her attacks to be slow and weak.

Dodge. I lunge to the side, once again avoiding her hit. My strategy is to wear her out, to tire her until she collapses to the ground. It's working, too, because she stops to lean on her knees.

Strike. After giving her less than a second to catch her breath, I reel up my arm, ball up my fist, and send it barreling straight into her stomach. The little air she had collected is once again knocked out of her as she staggers back, gasping.

Repeat. Well, not that I could, because she wasn't giving me anything to duck or dodge from. "Hey," I grunt, resisting the urge to roll my eyes. This is the fourth time she'd tried to take me down, and each time I ended up beating her more quickly. I kick her gently on the shoulder, shaking her tired body. "Get up."

"How did you get so good?" Val huffs before breaking into a fit of coughs. "I swear they didn't teach that at Central."

"I've got a good mentor," I shrug.

"We had the same mentor, Kirbena," Val murmurs, frowning.

"You never asked for help," I snap, annoyance creeping into my veins. I turn to my said mentor, watching us quietly with his arms crossed.

"Or you're still mad at me and won't give me any mercy?" Val suggest, leaning up to rest her weight on her elbows.

"Could be," I mutter. I turn to Grey, making a inquiring motion with my hands. "What now? Weapons? Long-range? More hand-on-hand combat?"

"Val, are you sure you don't want to stay here? It might be safer for you."

Val sighs, pulling herself to her feet. "I know it may seem like I'm just going to hold you back, but I want to help. I'm not the best, I know I neglected my training, and I most definitely know I'm not welcome. Just, please, let me make it up to you."

"Well, we were supposed to leave a week ago," Grey starts, running a hand through his black hair. "Raven didn't feel comfortable letting you leave, Val. We stayed so that you might improve, but you seem to just give up every time you fight. Being Bena's punching bag isn't going to make her feel better. You either, for that matter."

I glare at the olive-skinned girl before me, her silky hair in knots. "Are you serious? You've been letting me beat you around?"

"Maybe a little."

I scoff, shaking my head. I stalk in the opposite direction, feeling Val's arm on my shoulder to swivel me back around. Tear-filled eyes meet mine, but I shake her hold off of me anyway.

"Bena, please," she cries, her voice hitching in her throat. "I just want you to forgive me." I stare down at her, her brown eyes begging me for my friendship again. "I know you got hurt, and it's ultimately my fault what happened to you, but I am not Nixon. I'm your friend! Don't you remember me?"

"All I see when I look at you is him!" I cry, pushing her away from me. "Why can't you get that? I see that gun and I think of his voice!"

"I'm not Nixon!" she repeats, louder.

"You look like him!"

"What can I do?" she whispers, her voice quivering.

"Turn back time?"

"You know I can't," she murmurs, looking at the ground. "It should've been me."'

I gaze at her, remembering the day I first met her. When everything was good, and everyone was happy. And we were watching movies on my bed, munching on popcorn. And we were outside, learning the gist of elements. And we were at the dance, with Merida, when they curled my hair and chose my dress. When they teased me, and we laughed. I do remember Val, but I don't see her here.