Chapter 18: Encounter

Another week has gone by, and the others are finally ready to advance in training. Val's been sporadic about going to training, often disappearing to the bottom floor to watch television at the bar. She calls it her sanctuary. She told me that her brother would take her to this joint in Caste 5, and it was their special place. Her bond with her weapon was previously established anyway, and so she was "allowed" to miss.

I stare at the bright screen in my hands, irritated and itching to get up and moving. A week is a long time for someone to ponder by themselves. A week is also a long time to keep from going outside again, especially when it's so close. It almost makes me wish I haven't established a bond with Sutikka yet, because at least then I would be training.

But at the same time, Sutikka is my best friend. I would never want to give that away.

A loud knock sounds on the door, causing me to jump in my seat. I peer over at Val, playing a game on her own screen while humming along with the annoying tune. The knock comes again, and I pull myself from my seat on the couch. "All right, all right!" I yell. "I'm coming!"

I rush toward the door, yanking it open with an annoyed scowl on my face. Grey stands in the doorway.

"Marcus," he greets me, hands in the pockets of his black cargo pants. "Long time no see."

He's right; I haven't seen him for a few days. With everyone progressing differently, it's hard to keep track of everything that's happening. I wipe the scowl from my features, pasting a smile on my face. "Yep. What can I do for you?" I step aside to allow him entry.

"Ayumi is handling the others' training. As you know, this past week was all about establishing a bond with your weapon. They needed to work on the techniques they will use. You two, however, already have aced every single test we could give you in regards to your weapons and physical state."

I feel the fake smile on my face slowly become real. "That's great!" I say, my eyes lighting up. I can't have asked for better results in my few weeks here. And maybe, just maybe...Grey would take me outside again. I've been itching to feel the wind in my hair again. I look to Val as she shuts off her screen and comes to my side.

"You wanna go outside, don't you?" Grey inquires, as if reading my mind.

I'm not sure if he realized what he said, but I turn abruptly to face Val, who's eyes are curious. Grey seems to notice my frantic expression, that of which looks as if he'd just revealed his biggest secret. "It's fine, Marcus," he says, shaking his head. "Val can know, but only because you both need to be trained and I don't care to waste time training you separately."

"I can go outside too?" Val jumps, as if she knows what we're talking about. "Yay!"

Grey sighs, as if her enthusiasm was giving him a headache. He starts walking down the hall, and we follow closely behind him. I suddenly realize I'm wearing pretty much the same disgusting yoga pant outfit I wore the last time I went outside, but Grey hasn't seemed to notice.

"So as I was saying," Grey continues once we start up the stairs. "You've completely aced your physical tests, but now we need to focus on your mental tests. You both are different than the others. It makes me wonder if you lack in the mental department."

"I got C's in school," Val says quietly. "Does that count?"

Grey chuckles, turning back to look at us. "Maybe. How about you, Marcus?"

I bite my lip, blushing in embarrassment. "I got a few A's, but mainly B's."

"Ah," Grey murmurs. "So not quite the stellar student your brother was?"