Chapter 43: Missing

"Do you know where Ky went?" I ask Merida.

"Uh..." Merida looks around the room. It's obvious she knows just as much as I do.

It was strange. My brother was here an hour ago. He had a glass full of punch and was dancing with Val last time I saw him. Now he was just...gone. I have no idea where he went. Ky may be the shyer one of us, but he's always liked dances. When we were in high school he always went to the lame dances they threw. Most of them were awkward, and the kids would just shuffle around with their feet barely leaving the ground.

"What'cha looking for?" Donte asks me, and I turn around.

"My brother. He seems to have gone missing."

Donte chuckles. "I'm sure he's fine."

"By the way, you were great up there! I loved the song you chose!"

"Thanks, but I wasn't as good as Grey," he replies. "He is amazing. If I were him coming in from the outside, then I would've become a performer."

"I guess that's just not what he wanted to do," I shrug. "I think Grey made the right choice coming here. He's a great soldier and a great mentor."

"He wasn't always that way. He used to be kind of shielded from the world. After he questioned that yukos, he changed. So did I."

I gaze at Donte. "That's great, Donte," I murmur. "You changed to make people feel welcome. You're one of the nicest people I've ever met. I can't imagine you another way."

Donte smiles before changing the subject. "I wish I would've gotten the chance to dance with you." He pauses, conflicted over his words. "Grey got lucky tonight."

I can't imagine how red my face is right now. Why did I get so flustered now? Before the military, I was a stone that couldn't even be chipped. Now, at the smallest compliment, I was a mess. I just chuckle quietly, letting the blush fade away. Thank goodness for the dark light. "Well, I think YOU got lucky. I'm not a good dancer."

"No, you're like Grey. You're good at everything."

"Well, thanks. Some would disagree." I face the stage, wondering if I should take advantage of the karaoke machine. I hate singing in front of others, but I wasn't bad. A duet with Grey would be awesome... My thoughts trail off when I see Val step up to the machine.

"How's everybody doing tonight?" she squeals into the microphone. The crowd cheers, some raising their fists into the air. Val giggles. "Good! Look, I'm not a super romantic person, but I sing some good songs! Any requests?"

Someone shouts out 'Someone Like You', and Val obliges. "Your wish is my command!" She turns the machine on and finds the song.

"I guess here's my chance," Donte says dramatically. "This song is romantic enough, right?"

I nod. Donte smirks and crouches down on one knee, extending his hand out to me. Immediately I grow flustered, which was his obvious intention. "Oh Kirbena, my dear! Won't you please dance with me?"

I glare down at him and grab his hand. With one pull I yank him to his feet, and he stumbles into me a bit. It's my turn to smirk when I see his startled expression.

"Jeez, you got strong!" he exclaims.

"Really?" I ask, not even realizing it.

"I guess it makes sense. Sutikka weighs a crap ton. He still weighs that much to you, but you don't realize you're lifting that much."

"Weird," I comment, looking at my arms. "Or you're just really light."

Donte chuckles. "Maybe..." He pauses again. "So, is this a yes?"