Chapter 24: Revealing

I let out a breath.

I look at the ceiling, and being on the Bottom Floor, it stands 100 stories above me. No matter how much I fight it, Luci always has a way of frightening me. It's frustrating that whenever he even slightly raises his voice, the hair on my neck starts to rise. It's not like it's his fault, though. He doesn't even know when he's going to burst, and the only way he can get over his LCSD is if he has enough strength to fight it himself. There's no cure, no medication. The government doesn't care enough.

I push what I had earlier thought from my mind. Now was not the time to start making assumptions, even if I had nothing against it. I really just need to talk to Grey.

As if reading my mind, Grey rounds the corner and makes his way to the bar. I lean forward in my seat, resting my head in my hands. I feel myself smirking, remembering when he berated us for underage drinking, and him being only 20 himself. I feel as if I'm about to catch him in some dirty act. I watch as he gives the bartender his order, and she hands him a glass in return. When he turns around, his eyes meet mine.

I feel a blush start to peck at my cheeks, and I snap my eyes away quickly, but I'm too late. He finds his way over to me, still clutching his glass.

"Your hair is down today," he says.

I take a hand and run it through my wheat colored brown hair, feeling the sleek curls that bounce back up after I pull them down.

"Oh," I reply, grinning. "Yeah. Before the military, I didn't ever have it up." I peer at him quizzically. "Why'd you notice?"

Grey only smiles back, but I almost imagine some pink flush his own cheeks. "I'm observant."

"I see." I gaze at his drink, questioning him with a raised eyebrow.

"It's a soda," he answers, his tone full of amusement. "Do you think I'm a hypocrite? You can try it if you don't believe me."

I jump from my seat and reach for his glass before his eyes light up in surprise. I bring the clear liquid to my lips before he has the chance to retract his statement, letting the taste of lemon-lime flavor and carbonated bubbles fill my mouth.

"Mm," I hum, handing him back his glass. "That's good."

Grey takes his glass from my hands, peering down at it with an expression almost of curiosity. "Yes, it is." He brings the glass to his own mouth.

"I wanted to ask you for a favor," I say, resting my weight on one leg. "I know I already owe you so much, but-"

"What is it?" he asks, interrupting me.

"It has to do with Luci."

Grey's expression changes from amusement into something harder. "Go on."

"I think he should be transferred."

Grey lets out a sigh, and I know he was expected that statement. "Marcus, do you really think Luci's mentor will allow that?"

"Yes, because she has to. It's medical."

Grey frowns.

"Let me explain," I begin. "When Luci was in high school, he didn't have many friends. He was from Caste 8 and all, so all of the ignorant upper castes kids were afraid of him once they found out." I can't hide the sour note in my words. "Neveah was the only one who wasn't awful to him."

"I don't see how this is relevant," Grey contends.

"In fear of losing his only friendship with Neveah, Luci learned to control his LCSD. It was so that Neveah wouldn't see him as a monster and scare him off, too."