Chapter 51: Cleared

I blink awake, my head still pounding. It was like someone was taking a brick and slamming it against my head. I didn't get migraines often, but now one was justified. Everything is messed up, and there's nothing I can do to fix it. It's up to Ky, and if he wants to become this new person, I can't stop him. I pray to God he won't, though.

It takes my eyes a minute to adjust, but when they do, someone gazes back at me from the other side of the cave. I squeal, scooting down the wall.

I hear a chuckle I recognize, and I groan. "Grey! You scared the crap out of me!"

"That was kind of the point," he laughs. "No one could find you, so I looked here."

"Why didn't you wake me up?" I sigh, rubbing my tired eyes.

"I figured I'd let you sleep. We all need it." I hear him stand, and his footsteps echo around the cave. He puts out his hand to help me up, which I take.

"Thanks," I murmur when I stand. "I needed to calm down."

"Okay," Grey replies. I was expecting him to have me elaborate, but he remains quiet. We duck our heads and step out of the cave. The sun hits my eyes, and I flinch.

"Jeez that's bright," I hiss, squinting.

"I know," Grey chuckles again. "If you had Sutikka with you, he could help with that. But you left him back at the camping site."

"There's no way I'm sapping his energy for something that petty," I sigh. "In the smoke, it was different. I was looking for my squad mates, and he refused to stop helping me."

"I guess I got lucky," Grey murmurs. "Light is a mechanical weapon made entirely of technology. She doesn't get tired. She has an everlasting battery."

"Can Light die, then?" I ask, curious.

"I suppose so. If someone opens her up and takes out certain chips or stuff like that. A semi-truck could be sitting on top of her, but she wouldn't crack."

"Dang," I laugh. "She really is something."

"Yeah," Grey agrees.

"Okay everyone listen up!" someone hollers in the distance. Grey and I pick up our speed and join the massive crowd in the distance. The voice belongs to Holt, whose arms are crossed. His eyes scan the eager recruits, probably looking for someone to shush. "The smoke has been cleared from the base!" This receives a bunch of hoots and a ear piercing cheer, and Holt waits for us to quiet down. Grey gives me a small smile.

"The smoke has been cleared, but not all of the soldiers we lost. We ask that you stay off of the Bottom Floor until you've received word that the lost soldiers have been removed. Be respectful; those were our comrades. We will begin heading back inside. Go quietly back to your floors or your dorms, and further instructions will be given."

"That was quick," Pine murmurs. I jump, not remembering him being behind me. "Sorry, did I scare you? I didn't want to interrupt Luci and Neveah's conversation. When I saw you, I just came over."

"Pine," I sigh. "You're never gonna be Neveah's friend again if you don't try."

"But I would be stealing him back from Luci!"

I turn around to give Pine a convincing smile. "Pine," I begin again. "You're not stealing Neveah from Luci. You're just reintroducing yourself into his life. Now go." I push him away, and he stumbles to go find the other boys again.

"You don't have much patience today," Grey comments. I meet his eyes with my own, then let out another sigh.

"Yeah, sorry about that. There's a lot going on."