Chapter 3: Grey

Silence.

Grey raises his eyebrows and chuckles to himself. "Woah, you all can relax. I didn't mean to freak you out."

"What do you mean, sir?" Merida asks politely, her angelic face frowning.

"This doesn't really have much to do with yukos," Grey replies. "I just wanted to see if you all were paying attention."

A familiar sort of anger flares up in me, one that I'm well acquainted with when talking about what happened to my mother. "Are you kidding me?" I snap, piercing him with my worst glare. He may know how to carry himself in a confident way, but I'm not afraid to stand up for what I believe in. "You were joking? The yukos are nothing to joke about!"

Grey smirks, rapidly tapping the keys on a laptop. "Sit down, Miss Marcus."

I don't remember standing up. Regardless, I feel my ears burn with fury.

"There's no reason to get so angry," Grey continues calmly.

Ky's hand is on my own, pulling me down into my chair. Neveah watches me with still eyes. Merida looks frightened by my outburst. I shake Ky's hand off me. "You shouldn't use yukos in a casual conversation. Those creatures are killers."

Grey crosses his arms. "Humans are killers too." He gives me a hardened look and sighs, shaking his head. "Anyway, the yukos do have a little to do with why I'm here. All four of you have indicated a desire to join the resistance. I'm here to see if you're mature enough to take that on." He shoots me a look.

"Wait," Neveah frowns. "I didn't think it was that easy. Did they change the system?"

Grey gives him a nod. "We're running low on volunteers. Most people are put off by the idea of seeing a yukos in person. We've had a few of your teachers mention to us that you four would prefer to join the resistance, so that's why I'm here. To ask you why."

"Oh."

"So, let's start with you, Merida," Grey begins, giving her a smile. "Why do you want to join the resistance?"

It's so weird to imagine Merida, with her quiet personality and innocent face, fighting against a yukos. She doesn't seem like she'd last a day. Her eyes land on each one of us as she takes in our expressions. She lets out an exasperated huff. "I know I don't seem like much, okay? But...I have something to give. I can support people. I want to help them. I want people to be happy, and I think I can do that. Besides, don't soldiers deserve a little happiness too?"

Ah. So that makes more sense. She wants to be, what, a doctor? A counselor?

Grey nods. "We don't have much room for doubt in the resistance, Merida. Good soldiers know what they want."

"Of course," Merida grins shyly. "Plus, I've taken fencing lessons all of my life. I'm pretty good at it, too."

Wait, what?

"And if you weren't part of the resistance," Grey continues, "what would you want to do instead?"

"Oh," Merida blushes. "I don't know. Be an artist. Have my art displayed in the museum in Caste 1. But it's hard to survive as an artist."

"And you think it's easier to be a soldier?"

"No," Merida replies. "But I think I'd be better at helping people in the resistance than with my art."

Grey makes an approving noise in the back of his throat and types something on his computer. I wish I could read his mind. "Alright, thank you, Miss Dove. How about Neveah?"

Neveah's attention peaks. "Yeah?"

"Why do you want to join the resistance?"

Neveah stares down at his hands, now laced together and placed on the table. His pale eyes are calculating as if he needs to craft every word to perfection. "There's someone important there. He needs me."