Chapter 40: Chancellor

I stare at the bottles of alcohol around me, waiting for the bartender to ask me which one I wanted. I knew she wouldn't though; she's seen me here before and I never drink. I was thankful for that, because if she did offer me something I would probably most definitely accept it.

It would suck away all the emotions I'm feeling. Right now, I'm feeling a lot.

"Grey," I hear a voice hiss behind me. I turn my chair around and face Ky, the look on his face angry. I look up at him, not answering his abrupt greeting. I raise an eyebrow, waiting for him to continue.

"Not here," Ky mutters under his breath. I perk up at this. Was it news about Kirbena that others shouldn't know? I get up to follow him into the elevator. The bartender gives me a gentle smile as I go, sympethetic that I wouldn't let myself drink yet.

Once we get inside the elevator, Ky pushes Top Floor. I frown, wondering why he would take us up there. It soon becomes apparant to me when he needs as much time as he can get to talk to me. I turn to face him, and Ky glares at me for a few seconds.

"I know who you are," he mutters, so quiet I almost can't make out the words.

I keep a straight face. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You were a prodigy, right?" Ky hisses. "Figure it out."

I narrow my eyes a smidge.

"So answer this," Ky continues. "If Demi is in that room being tortured, why aren't you?"

I blink. "What do you mean?" I ask.

"Don't play dumb. You're not a good actor," Ky sighs. "You're..." he pauses.

I swallow. "I'm...?"

Ky frowns a bit. "Kirbena told me about Nixon yesterday. She told me you helped him, but she wanted to kill him." My eyes widen at his words. "Well, even after all that help you gave him, he shot my sister."

I don't respond.

"It's your fault. What's funny is yesterday I thought the government were the bad guys, not the yukos. Not all yukos are bad, I believe that. But now I know that the yukos are the bad guys. They put my sister in danger, and that's crossing a line with me. You, put my sister in danger."

"I'm sorry you feel that way," I whisper.

"You're not going to deny it?"

"No. I did put your sister in danger. It was my fault," I sigh.

"I don't mean that!" Ky snaps. "I mean you're not going to deny..." I groan, noticing how he still couldn't bring himself to say it.

Before I can answer, the elevator doors slide open. I stare at the man in front of me, then snap back to reality. I grab Ky's wrist an yank him down as the man watches the process.

"Chancellor," I breathe. "To what do we owe the honor?"

C. Raven looks down at us, his brilliant blue eyes sparkling slightly. His jet black hair sculpts into curls, a few stray ones flopping out of his combed back style. His pale skin only illuminates his eyes even more.

He smiles slightly. "There's no honor in seeing me," he replies. "You may stand, both of you."

Ky seems awestruck, and only snaps out of his trance when he sees me move. We get off our knees, and our posture is perfect.

"Who might you be?" Chancellor asks Ky.

Ky bows slightly. "My name is MiKyas Marcus," he replies. "It really is an honor to meet you, sir."

Chancellor's eyes light up even more. "Stop the formalities, MiKyas. I'm not a god, just the leader of Gambos who shouldn't be leading yet. Tell me, do you happen to be the brother of Kirbena Marcus?"

"I am," Ky beams.

"I was actually looking to speak with her," Chancellor nods. He turns to me. "And you, too."

"Really?" I ask. I had met Chancellor a few times before. The first time when his late father told him about my talents and he came to see them for himself. It was the first call he ever got to make. He came to see me with Light, and determined whether or not Orb Insects should be made. The second time was when he needed me to investigate something outside; of course he knew it was there. And now, this time.

"Yeah," he replies. "It's important."

"Okay, sir. Whatever you need," I bow.

"Seriously, stop with the formalities," he warns fakely. "I'm only 5 years your senior. You don't need to act in such a manner around me. Just call me by my name, okay?"

"Alright, Raven," he grins.

"Do you know where Kirbena is? Resting, I assume?"

"Actually," Ky buts in. "I think she's practicing a bit with Sutikka."

"What?" Raven's eyes go wide. "But she was just shot a week ago."

I keep the grin on my face. "Well, Sutikka took a bunch of the pain for her. She held him over her wound and he sucked up all the pain like a sponge."

"She really is just like you, Grey!" Raven laughs. I smile too, ignoring the side look Ky gives me.

"After we speak, I need to make an announcement that I thought I should come out for."

I frown. "Sounds important."

"It is. Very, very important."

The elevator dings, and Chancellor instructs me to find Kirbena and meet him in her room in an hour. I was worried about the talk he had to have with us, although he didn't seem angry. Maybe that was because Ky was standing right there, and he didn't want to freak him out or anything. From past experiences, Raven didn't seem like that cheerful of a guy. Also, the announcement he had to make? One that was so important he couldn't say it over intercom? Ominous and unnerving was what it was.

I sigh, shaking my head. We would know in an hour what there was to worry about.

---------------

Haha...(insert embarrassed face here)...

This is probably going to be the worst chapter ever with no humor that's also very short. I am so tired, you guys. It's not even funny anymore. But, I kind of had to rush this chapter. My family and I are going on vacation tomorrow and I won't have wifi because cruises don't have wifi...so...this is the last chapter for a week.

I WAS TRYING TO BE NICE BUT I THINK I JUST GAVE YOU A BOATLOAD OF SCHUFF INSTEAD! See what I did there ;)? But hey! Ky confronted Grey so that's something...right? What do you think? Usual questions apply. Ex.) Favorite character, favorite ship, favorite moment, all that fun jazz...

I'm sorry now I'm just ranting. Sorry for any bad grammar or stuff I don't have the energy for editing right now but anyway I hope you enjoy the weekend and stuff so um yeah bye.