Chapter 45: Missing Lives

I dig Sutikka into the cement floor, trying to brace myself and resist being blasted against the wall. Ayumi does the same, whispering something to Aruku. Surprisingly, it works. The friction from the rod being jammed into the floor keeps our bones from being crushed against a rock hard wall. I let out a sigh of relief, before realizing what had just happened.

I jump up to look down below me. Ayumi grabs my wrist and yanks me back down. "You crazy? Who ever threw that is going to see you and kill you."

"B-but," I murmur. "M-my friends."

"I get it, but we need to be smart about this." Ayumi raises herself to her haunches and crouches there. She begins to creep along the wall. Smoke fills our eyes and lungs, making it hard to see her even being this close to her. I swallow to keep myself from coughing.

"Hey, prepare yourself. People are dead down there. It could very well be one of your friends."

We slowly make our way down the stairs, freezing at every sound. I dread the idea of one of my friends down there, lifeless. I shake my head, freeing my mind of the thought.

"Luckily, it was just a simple bomb. There's no poison or gas down there, or everyone would be dead already; including us. However, we need to get everyone out. With all this smoke, we are going to run out of oxygen."

I stop her. "Where have you been all this time, Ayumi?" I murmur. "You disappeared."

She takes a deep breath, resulting in a cough. "I had to think some things over myself. Come on, we need to go."

After what seems like forever, we manage to locate the door to the Bottom Floor again. Ayumi and I make a plan to split up once we get inside. She would look for officials to sound an alarm, while I would look for my own squad and anyone else who was alive.

I watch Ayumi's pink hair slip away once we open the door. The smoke is almost too much to bear, but I feel my way around. "Sutikka, is there anyway you could see for me?"

"M-maybe Kirbena...I'm really tired right now."

I wipe tears from my eyes. "I'm so sorry, Sutikka. You're supposed to be my partner, and I'm hurting you."

"You're not hurting me, just making me stronger. Don't worry about it. I'll see for you."

Sutikka's point of view fills my mind. Everything is so much clearer with him as my eyes. I start moving more quickly, scanning the room for anyone from my squad. I see something blonde a few feet away, and rush forward to Luci.

"Luci?!" I cry.

"Kirby!" he responds. "Kirbena, he's not moving!" Luci's voice is pleading, and I see tears in his own eyes. I follow his gesturing to Neveah, who lies motionless. Luci wipes his face multiple times, but his tears don't stop coming. I put two fingers on his neck to check for a pulse. I feel myself relax when a gentle thump thump beating meets my hand.

"It's okay, he's just unconscious."

Luci lets out a long sigh, and I smile softly. He puts his hand on Neveah's quickly, giving it a quick squeeze. "Where should we go?"

"Help me carry him. I know where to go, but you can't move until I come to get you."

"Okay," he breathes.

We shuffle through the smoke, me weaving Luci throughout the area. I bring him into the staircase, when we carefully put Neveah back down. With the door blocking out most of the smoke, it was easier to breathe in here.

"You should be okay for a few minutes. If anyone tries to attack you, fight back. Got it?"

"Got it."