Chapter 56: Focus

I lean against the wall outside of the funeral room, staring at the ceiling. Sutikka floats next to me. I look down at him, then smile at him. "You can go be with the squad, buddy. I won't be offended."

"I'd rather be with you."

"Suit yourself," I sigh.

"Excuse me?" I freeze, turning to face the voice. It's Jeremy, holding my golden puppy in his arms. I grin when I see it, and reach out for her. Jeremy hands her to me willingly. I take a good look at him. He has eyes the color of grass, and hair the color of wheat. He's younger than me and has a baby face, but he seems strong enough to be a guard.

"She's been checked over," Jeremy says. "She's clean. The officials are wondering what you're doing with her, though. I'm not sure they want animals in the military unless they're a weapon."

"That's alright," another voice says cheerfully. It's Raven. Jeremy's eyes widen and he bows quickly.

"Sir," he begins. "Such an honor."

"Not really," Raven chuckles. "But thank you. Stand straight around me, kid. I'm not a god."

"Okay, sir."

"Raven. Just call me Raven."

"Okay."

"Anyway, Kirbena's an exception. She can have a dog if she wants," Raven chuckles again.

"Okay."

"Is that the only word in your vocabulary?" Raven asks, raising an eyebrow. "Other than 'sir', and 'such an honor'?"

Jeremy lets out a nervous laugh. "I guess I'll be going," he murmurs to me. "Tell Ky I left his dog in his room."

"Got it," I reply. As if.

"So," Raven murmurs once Jeremy is completely out of sight. "What are you doing out here? Everyone's inside, along with the food. Who doesn't love food?"

The comment causes me to laugh a bit, and a gentle smile finds Raven's lips. "It was too stuffy in there. I felt like I couldn't breathe. Too many people, I guess."

"Too many people in coffins, you mean?"

My eyes find his face, and his expression is serious. There's no sign of a joke on his features. I sigh.

"Grey told me about your PTSD. You have a hard time seeing death, right? Any thing that reminds you of it is too much."

"Yes, Raven," I snap. "I can't handle...death well."

"That's okay. I guess you're the only one who gets the memo."

I frown at the complete change of subject. "What?"

"I think you're the only person in the place who calls me Raven other than my uncle." Raven grins down at me, and I look around nervously.

"Well, you asked me to, so."

"True," he laughs. "Well, you can head up to your room if you want. I am warning you though, tomorrow you'll have to get up very early."

"Why?" I perk up.

"Training!"

Raven gives me another smile before heading back inside of the funeral room. My eyes follow him in all the way, and then I look down at the puppy in my arms. I rub behind her ears. "Did you here that? Training!"

"You seem happy, Bena!" Sutikka buzzes.

"I am. My mind needs to get back in it. Besides, I feel like time is just passing by without anything happening. Nothing's changing for the better." I start towards the elevator. "We're all gonna get stronger."