Liar

I sat awkwardly as Marshall and Kim argued.

Although the argument itself wasn't about me, the situation made me feel like it was.

We had flown back to Detroit briefly to announce the engagement in person to Marshall's girls before the world knew.

The first person was Kim, then we would tell the girls.

I'd never seen Marshall like this before.

Since the moment I met him there had been a calm kind of air about him, even in the more stressful situations with my mother, he seemed so resilient and level headed, and would charge through things like a juggernaut.

It made it clear to me, his daughters were truly his kryptonite.

"I hope you're sure that this is what you want Marshall" Kim said, face painted with concern and disbelief, looking back and forth between us as if she'd been told some kind of riddle.

I knew she would be the one that wouldn't fall for it so easily.

From the information I knew about Marshall, I learned that there were two women in his life that shaped who he was, one of them was Kim, and she was one of the people that knew him better than anyone else to walk the earth.

The second was his Mother.

There wouldn't have been Eminem without the force that was the turbulent women in his life, who were Kimberly Scott and Debbie Mathers.

After all, without Kim, there would be no Hailie-Jade.

And without Haile, who was Marshall's life force, he said he wouldn't have been who he is today.

"I'm sure Kim, I fucking love her, I want to spend the rest of my life with her" Marshall said, his voice steady, assertive.

Although it came out more aggressive than I thought was possible.

Kim set her gaze on us once more than tilted her head, calculating our body language I was sure of it.

"Well, congratulations I guess, welcome to the family Harley" Kim said standing and gesturing towards the direction of their bedrooms "Go ahead, let them know" she then started to walk back towards the kitchen.

Marshall stood, but seemed to be frozen.

I looked up at him and caught a glimpse of fear flash across his normally expressionless features, staring at the hallway ahead, that led to their bedrooms.

His eyes suddenly fell to mine, the bright blue, clouded with something I was all too familiar with.

I held my hand out silently for him to grab, he first looked at it, staring at the pink peach halo sapphire rose gold engagement ring that was now sitting on my ring finger for a moment before sighing and grabbing it.

I started to walk with him, getting to one of the doors that had the sound of teenage girls giggling on the other side.

I hear Marshall exhale next to me, before he lifted his hand and knocked.

Looking back up at him his face was suddenly full of excitement and joy.

I tried to match his energy, placing a grin on my face.

This man was an amazing actor.

The bedroom door flew open, and Hailie's smiling face met us.

"DAD! what are you doing here?"

"Hey baby" Marshall said, his voice turned to silk as he spoke "Take a seat with Laney and Whit real quick, I got somethin' to tell you all"

They sat on Hailies bed and Marshall cleared his throat.

"You know, when you love someone as much as I love her, you wanna be with them... forever, so I asked her to Marry me"

It took a moment but they all squealed and jumped up, hugging me.

"I can't believe you're gonna be our stepmother" Hailie beamed "I'm so happy for you guys, dad we love her so much"

I saw Marshall's shoulders drop a little, going unnoticed by his excited daughters, I placed my hand on his back and smiled up at him.

He smiled back at me with a sigh, eyes dark with disappointment then looking at his daughters "Yeah Baby, I know how much y'all love her"

———

The flight on the way back to L.A and then the car ride to the apartment felt like it took forever because of the silence.

Marshall was in a mood and it was understandable so I sat away from him on the other couch, watching the tv on low.

I picked my cellphone up and dialed my brother's number and waited for it to ring.

"Harley, to what do I owe the pleasure?"

I sighed putting on a fake gleeful tone.

"I letting you know before it's announced to the works and so you can prepare yourself for the wrath of momma"

"Mmm do go on my dear sister, what am I preparin' fore exactly?"

I paused for a moment then continued.

"Marshall and I are getting married, he proposed to me"

"I knew that man was bewitched by your charm the moment I saw him look at you, but tell me, why do I sense somethin' is off?"

I felt the panic as it rose through my chest, of pulse he was in tune with what I was feeling, he was my damn twin.

"Don't worry, I'm just tired from celebrating, please don't tell anyone" I quickly said, I wasn't one to use sex as an excuse but it was all I could think on short notice "Can you get Aunt Jo?"

"I'm already here Darlin', your brother waved me over, congratulations to you both, I assume you will be coming to Nashville to formally announce?"

"I will be aunt Jo don't worry, it will be announced to the world, I won't be telling momma personally though, I ain't ready to deal with that yet, we will also be bringing Marshall's daughters with us" l said looking at my watch "Look I gotta go, love you both"

We say our goodbye and hang up and I turn to see Marshall standing next to me with a unreadable expression.

"You alright?"

He nodded and sat down "Look I wanna apologize for behaving like an asshole"

I shook my head at him "You're not an asshole, you're a father that wanted to protect his daughters from being hurt and now you have no control over it"

He sighed, his shoulders relaxed and titled his head and looked at me from the side "You know, you've surprised me with how level headed you've been through the last few days, I'm impressed"

"Well, when you've been pretending long as I have you work your best under pressure" I said with a kind smile "Don't worry Marshall, I will stay in contact with the girls when this is all over, even if I have to fight for it"

"Thanks, that means a lot," He said, standing up and reaching down for my hand "How about we do somethin' that's real before we gotta go out and pretend in front of the whole world again?"

"And what's that?" I asked confused as he pulled me into him.

I watched as that mischievously wicked grin spread across his face and he bit his lip.