Always Be Prepared

"we're so happy to see you back Harleen, it's a privilege that you chose us to be your first show after your hiatus, we certainly all look forward to your next album" Abby, the manager of the Opry grinned at me, her eyes then dropping to Marshall.

Who was standing next to me, amused smirk playing on his lips, his shoulders slouched forward casually, hands in his pockets, in a red backward cap, white t-shirt, black cargo shorts and of course, his ever favorite black and white Nike Air Maxs.

Have I said how attractive he was before?

Because while I was having a rehearsal for the show tomorrow night, I don't think I saw one woman that wasn't staring at him lustfully.

The thing about country girls is that we love our bad boys, which is why so many of us have our hearts broken by cowboys, but of course Marshall is no cowboy.

But everyone knew Slim Shady is the epitome of a bad boy.

You'd have to be living under a rock to not know that about him.

"I see it, not a lot of people do, but I like you as a couple, it's refreshing, Lord knows the people around here don't understand it, but I do" Abby sighed "Its all so romantic, even though most won't think so"

Marshall raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"Not everyone's prince is riding a white stallion I guess" I said as I handed her back the mic "Sometimes he's attending an AA meeting who drives an escalade"

"Oh snap" Marshall mumbled "That was pretty tight"

Abby laughed "Well, ill see you both tomorrow night, have a great evening"

Marshall nodded and I waved.

"So you think I'm a prince huh?"

"No"

"I can be romantic"

"I've heard your music Marshall, most ends in duct tape" I said with a raised eyebrow as he stood close.

"You say that like its a bad thing" He said, a stupid mischievous grin appearing "Maybe I should elaborate, you see I take the tape and-"

Nope.

I shook my head, turning and brushing my body past him as I head to the exit, hoping the darkening light of the pink dusk sky would disguise my reddening cheeks, hearing his deep chuckle behind me, awakened the goosebumps over my body again.

"I could even put a cowboy hat on" He said as we got into the awaiting car.

------

"Stop it"

"Stop what Harley Quinn?" He deadpanned.

I glared at him "Just stop with all that"

He stood back sticking his hands up "Just playing the part, tongue poking his inner cheek as he stopped himself from smiling.

"She's not even in here"

"I'm prepared" He shrugged.

I sighed, turning around, Marshall standing over me, biting his lip hiding a smirk.

And it was like the devil called her name, my mother appeared.

"Harleen I'm going to go to-"

Marshall's hand slipped around my waist, leaning down, kissing me hard on the lips, with tongue I'm assuming for theatrics.

He was a great kisser.

I realized that my mother had left the studio and we were still kissing.

I gently pushed him away standing back catching my breath.

"See" He hummed "Prepared"

My hand on his chest still.

"She's uncomfortable... this is actually great" I said with a small smile as the realization hit.

My mother hated Marshall, this was my chance to keep her at a distance while I could.

Marshall rubbed his chin in thought.

"Well... you know, if we started fuckin' she might leave the state"

I rolled my eyes at him, sitting down and went back to the computer and continued to finish off the song.

"what? Relax it was a joke" He said "Come on, I ain't been laid in over a month, I can't help it"

I turned back to him and looked at him with a mock in my gaze "Over a month? Poor Lil Marshall"

"How long?" Marshall said, playful tone in his voice, I noticed he had it whenever he was digging for information.

"Over a year" I said turning back to the soundboard.

I watch out of the corner of my eyes as he slumped back on the front of the soundboard next to me "No fucking way"

"Yes way"

"Why? I mean you're attractive, I highly doubt any man would have said no if you asked"

"I'm recovering, I guess I was afraid I would swap one vice with another vice"

"Being addicted to sex IS NOT a bad thing" he said grabbing his water bottle off the desk and drinking out of it.

"You're an idiot" I said throwing a notebook at him, he went to catch it and spilled his water down the front of him.

"Fuck" he said, looking down, shrugging and pulling his t-shirt over his head.

I turned away pretending to hit buttons, avoiding his damn half-naked body, again.

"Oh sorry!" Audrey's voice came floating into the studio from the hallway.

"All good" Marshall said nonchalant "Ima go get a new shirt, I'll be back"

I turned around after hearing the door of my home studio close and come into contact with Audrey's amused eyes.

"What"

"Your momma is pissed, said she came to say goodnight to you and you were too busy with Satan's tongue down your throat, told me he's going to ruin your career" She said tilting her head "Coming from her that rich"

"He kissed me"

"Keep that energy when you guys are in public, it's what you need" She said giving me a wink then cleared her throat "I'm coming to say ill see you tomorrow at the Opry, do you need me to tell Paul to reel him in behind closed doors?"

"No he's fine" I laughed.

"Ok, well I'm done for the night then" She said giving me a hug and leaving me.

"Alright" Marshall said, as I turned around, he was now wearing a singlet and joggers "You ready to get your mind blown?"

I looked at him confused when he suddenly raised his hand producing his lyric book.

"Alright, I'll bite, show me what you've got"

He gave me a cocky smirk then proceeded to hit a few buttons, bringing up a beat he had worked on early this morning and before turning to me and walking backwards into the booth winking at me.

"Watch the master and weep baby"