Lights, Camera, Action!

June 2009

I sat in the car drumming my fingers on my thighs.

I saw the lights of the paparazzi through the window as we pulled up.

Marshall leaned in, causing me to look up at him.

"You ready to become an A list actress?" He deadpanned "Nows your chance"

Before I could say anything the door opened, and he climbed out, another blinding wave of flashes and yelling.

He reached back for me, I grabbed his hand and as I stepped out of the car there were even more screams, of our names, some of confusion.

I finally looked up from Marshall's Hand to the crowd there was a sea of shocked and confused faces.

Marshall guided me straight inside through the doors, only stopping once we were out of earshot.

"Not gonna lie, I love seeing people rattled"

I looked at Marshall who was trying not to smile, the corners of his mouth twitching.

"Do you normally get off on chaos?"

"No, but I can't do drugs, drink or even have nasty sex with groupies anymore so I gotta have some pleasure in life"

I laughed, as he looked around then leaned in closer.

"Oh right... We're meant to be loved up, I must warn you, I'm a terrible actress"

Marshall cocked his eyebrow "So? Pretend that I'm someone you want to be with, I've seen your music videos"

I laughed "I wish it was that easy, you on the other hand even have the body language right"

"I've been pretending to be two other people for the last 11 years, I'm well-practiced at playing pretend" He shrugged.

"You're three people? Must be exhausting" I frowned and looked up at him "Who are you now?"

"Eminem" He smirked, back facing everyone else waiting to take their seats.

"And how do they differ from the others?"

"Well," he said, casually leaning on the wall behind me with one hand "Marshall Mathers is my true self, somewhat serious, when I want to be raw energy and emotion into my rap, Eminem is introspective, makes you think, he's still angry but he's political, he calls out the bullshit he sees in the world, he's got a vast vocabulary because he reads the dictionary before bed every night, there for being dubbed the Rap God" He leaned in closer, I could smell his cologne and feel his breath on my skin "and last but not least, there's Slim Shady, he the sadistic violent dark one with a comedic twist, he allows me to express my anger and doesn't give a fuck about anything, basically Slim and Eminem are the devil and angel on my shoulders"

"Jesus, no wonder you drank..." I said in shock.

"As if this" He said, eyes raking over my body, free hand running down the side "Is the real you, you definitely ain't no Britney Spears, I'm not buying this sweet southern girl act at all"

I shook my head, this was heavy, I was starting to get giddy.

"Chill Harley Quinn, people are watching very closely" he whispered into my ear "Im just playing the part"

"My God" I said, I suddenly was a loss for words.

How the hell does someone act so damn well, even when I'm flirting with someone I'm actually interested in I'm still awkward as hell.

Suddenly the announcement came over the speakers and we were asked to take our seats.

Marshall pushed off the wall away from me, taking the heat of his body with him and gestured for me to walk in front of him.

After finding our seats and sitting down, I took us in while trying to ignore everyone.

We were definitely a miss-match.

I was in gold gown, dressed up and Marshall was in jeans, t-shirt, leather jacket and Nikes.

I rarely ever dressed that casual, my label wouldn't allow it, I would forever be labelled a southern belle.

Come to think of it I must ask him later if he has ever even been in a suit.

I felt his hand settle on my thigh as he sat casually next to me, seemingly unphased by the situation, talking to someone next to him, as I was having an entire meltdown about it in my head.

I just thanked God that our managers have already perfected the statement that would be going out tomorrow once the news hit that we were a couple.

Because not only was I a bad actor, but I was also an awful liar.

------

I stood next to Marshall, Audrey and Paul answering a few other people's shocked questions.

Marshall had slung an arm over me, as he answered the same question the millionth time.

I was starting to get annoyed with how comfortable and casual he was about it.

It was clear I was the inky one overthinking anything.

"I can't believe you two are together, this is insanity, what a match"

"Yeah well, you love who you love I guess" Marshall shrugged "I'm surprised we managed to keep it secret for so long, right Harley Quinn?"

"Absolutely, I was sure the sneaking around was going to catch up" I smiled.

I had completely forgotten the persons name already.

"Will you please excuse us?" Marshall said as the person nods and takes me over to other entrance before turning to me "Ready to go?"

"What now?"

"Yeah, you can you looked like you would rather be anywhere else but here, and I have to agree with you" Marshall shrugged shining his hands in his pockets looking bored.

"The show hasn't even finished"

"So, like those assholes care, you don't have to stay you know, fuck them, someones coming around with the car now, let's go"

I followed his lead into the car, climbing in, a few more paps around to capture us leaving as Marshall texted our managers to let them know that we were heading back to the hotel

I've never left an award show early except for that one time, and I hate to say it, not being dictated by it felt pretty good.

I watched as the streetlights flashes past in silence, letting song lyrics run through my head.

I turned to look at Marshall who had pulled out  a small note pad, writing something down.

"Do you carry those everywhere?" I asked, curious because, I had heard stories about him and his obsession with writing everything down.

"Just about, depends if the outfit I'm wearing has big enough pockets or not, sometimes I just hope it's there's a notepad when I get back to the hotel so I can write them down"

"Maybe I should start, I'm sure I miss out on so much leaving them in my head"

"You should, it's also theraputic" He smirks at me and went back to his notebook and I went back to staring out the window a little longer.

Tonight was crazy, I hope I can maybe get a few acting tips, because I'm pretty sure Marshall's the only reason we didn't flop.