Let's Go Burn Ole Nashville Down

I watched as everyone buzzed around, getting us ready for the interview after my live performance.

The world had all but had a meltdown over the announcement that hip-hops most notorious rapper, had just dropped a bombshell announcing he was engaged to country music's sweetheart.

It was like someone had lit a match and walked away.

And boy, there were so many questions.

I sat on the couch next to Marshall, dressed in his usual black sports jacket, white T-shirt, dark jeans, and his ever favorite pair of Nikes, who had his arm lazily slung across the back of the couch behind me, fingers brushing against the back of my neck, sitting ever so casually with his legs apart.

The stage lights turned off and it was finally a wrap.

I was glad to soon be able to stop the fake grin I had plastered on my face last 45 minutes.

"Thank you so much for comin' out"

"Not a problem," I said as we both stood, the interviewer shaking our hands and leaving us alone, while the rest of the crew started packing up the set.

Marshall grabbing my arm as I went to walk ahead of him "You sure you wanna do this tonight? Dinner with your mom I mean"

I looked at him confused "What do you mean, why wouldn't I just do it?"

He gave me a lopsided smirk "I'm not sure if it the face that you sounded like a robot during that interview or the fact that you've even mentally checked out since we landed, gotta give you props though, your autopilot is dope"

I gave him a tight smile "Oh"

He laughed at me and nonchalantly held out his hand to walk with him "So, what's the answer? Do you want to reschedule dinner and prepare yourself?"

I shook my head, grabbing his warm hand, it was smooth, small calluses on his fingers ticking mine, built up after years of gripping pens and pencils in every free moment.

"You're the boss," He said as I looked up at him as we walked through the building toward the exit, his blue eyes meeting mine.

Entering the opened car door I scoot over to the other side "I have a surprise for your daughters"

A grin spread across his face involuntarily, a common reaction he had whenever his girls were mentioned "What? You didn't have to buy them anything really"

"Well I figured, and wanting to keep true to my promise to you, I have arranged for each of the girls to have their own room at my house, they can have full decorating and creative control, so when this is over, you can visit with them still, that's if you want too"

He stared at me intently for a moment, with an expression I wasn't sure of, then leans forward, hand reaching around the back of my neck and gently pulled me in, kissing me on the lips softly.

My eyes flutter open when I feel his lips leave mine and he's looking sheepish.

"What was that for?

He gave me a shy smile "Fuck I- you're just amaz-" He rubbed the back of his neck, inhaling and exhaling "You're too sweet... I appreciate the gesture so much, the girls are gonna be excited"

He placed his hand on my shoulder again, almost leaning again but stopping himself, confusion briefly crossing his face then shaking it off and smiling at me again.

"Thank you, really"

I smiled at him.

"It's my pleasure"

------

Walking into my house Marshall and I are greeted by the laughing and giggling of his daughters.

"You're back!" Hailie exclaimed, appearing in front of us as Aunt Jo sat on the couch between Whitney and Alaina.

"Yeah sorry baby," Marshall said with a smile "Hope yall been good for Miss Jo"

"Oh don't you worry about these beauties Marshall, they have been nothin' but perfect angels," Jo said, riffling Whitney's hair who giggled "We just been lookin' though Harley's photo albums"

"You didn't say you were a princess Harley," Whitney said giving me a toothy grin "You got a crown and all, why don't you wear your crown stilL? I would wear it every day if I owned one"

I was confused for a minute before I realized they were going through my pageant albums.

Marshall peeked into the album over Whitney's shoulder and then looked back at his youngest.

"She doesn't need to wear a physical crown baby girl," Marshall said as his gaze met mine "Because you don't need to wear a crown to be a queen"

"Awh" Hailie and Alaina sighed in unison, chin in hand, stating between up with goofy smiles.

"I've never seen Daddy so happy," Hailie said to Jo who was looking smug.

"Er- uh," Marshall said clearing his throat "We have a surprise for you girls"

"What is it? Is it a horse?"

I chuckled as Marshall stiffened "No, but you can choose to rise whatever ones you want tomorrow"

"Ok, what is it?" Alaina asked, full attention was on us now.

"Well, I thought, since you've all chosen a bedroom each, then maybe you'd like to decorate them for whenever we come back?"

"Really? Like, decorate it however we want?"

"Absolute control," I said smiling at them.

Hailie and Alaina started to jump and squeal with each other, then moving and wrapping their arms around me.

"Ok, ok calm down" Marshall chuckled "How about y'all go upstairs and get ready for your dinner?"

They all thanked me again and disappeared upstairs.

"I'm so glad you don't want them to come with you to the dinner, I don't want those beautiful girls exposed to that monster sister of mine," Jo said standing up, tidying the albums into a pile "That woman is livid about this engagement"

"Ugh," I said as I sunk down into the sofa "Don't remind me, she is going to berate me so much, I don't think I'm ready"

Marshall sat down next to me "Hey don't worry about it, you got me there"

"At this point, I fear your safety" I groaned "Audrey has been receiving phone calls from her since I been avoidin' her calls, and it ain't pretty"

"Annalise is on about how you ruinin' her daughter," Jo said with a smug smirk "She's hatin every minute of it, the beauty of it is that there isn't one place to look without seeing both your beautiful faces plastered everywhere, engagement the talk of the city"

I groaned again as my Aunt patted my shoulder softly leaving the room.

"We can skip it, totally send a card instead"

"If I wasn't raised so proper I would do that," I said looking at him with a small smile "But the southern girl in me wouldn't allow it"

Marshall snorted and then lowered his head closer to my ear "Always doin' the right thing and disregarding her own feelings, have you learnt nothing from me besides how to take my di-"

I slapped my hand over his mouth, looking to the kitchen entrance bewildered, where Aunt Jo had walked inside of not too long ago as I felt the blush rise up my cheeks and then Marshall cackling his crazy laugh.