It's All Wrong, But It's All Right

I was nervous.

I looked up, surrounded by my hair and makeup stylists working on me.

Marshall casually relaxed on the couch reading a magazine, dressed in a bomber jacket, white Tshirt, jeans and Nike's.

With a cowboy hat on?

"Marshall, where did you get that?" I said out of confusion.

He looked up at me with a mischievous half-smile.

"It's Nashville Harley Quinn, they manifest whenever you're in a place with too many country artists"

This man as about as mature as last springs cattle.

He got up and walked over to me, hands in his pockets.

Seems like boyfriend mode was on.

"I can't wait to see you perform, I can see you're nervous because your leg is poppin' like a crack fiend"

"Nice Marshall" I said rolling my eyes "But you're absolutely right, I'm as nervous as a turkey in November"

"I LOVE when you talk that southern slang to me, I have to start southernizing for you"

My make up artist giggled.

"No, oh my god" I said, covering my mouth up with a giggle "You don't even know what you just said"

He frowned at me in the mirror and sat in the chair next to me "What?"

"It means to umm..." I said trying to laugh "Sexual stimulation with your mouth"

"Oh" He said, that wicked grin spreading across his face "I wanna do that too"

"Marshalls going to give you a southern Blush if he keeps it up" My make-up stylist said, winking at me.

I laughed hoping to God the makeup had covered up the pink of my cheeks.

Marshall squinted at us before getting up and walking back to the sofa and sitting down and pulling out his iPhone and started to google.

After a few minutes, his facial expression changed and he smirked to himself biting his lip then sliding his phone back in his pocket.

Audrey walked into the room and was saying something to Marshall but I was busily engrossed in the story my stylists were telling me that I missed it.

"What was that about? I Asked, Marshall simply shrugging.

"Something about our ride home" He said hand up waving it off.

I nodded, standing up "Ok, it's time"

"Ready?" Marshall said dropping the magazine he had starts reading again on the couch and stood up, following me out of the dressing room.

"I don't know.." I said turning to Marshall as we stood in the main hallway adjustment to the backstage.

Marshall grabbed my hand, I looked up at his face.

"I was nervous that first time back on stage, don't worry you're gonna be great, I haven't heard one person here that hasn't had anything but praise for you"

I smiled at him as he gestured for me to walk ahead.

We got to the side of the stage, when suddenly I heard Marshall's stage name be announced, he winked at me then walked on the stage, there was an uproar of screams.

He took off the cowboy hat as he made his way to the middle of the stage and started waving it in the air and flipping the bird with the other, stopping as the presenter handed him the mic.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please excuse me as I am in uncharted waters, but who would have thought that a rapper from Detroit would be on the stage of the Grand ole Opry? ... Certainly not my possible future monster-in-law, Anal Lise" He said throwing a smirk in our direction.

My mother seethed from beside me "What is he doing.."

I zoned her out and listened to the rest of his speech.

"Apart from a few exceptions, most people of Nashville have welcomed me with open arms, and I can't wait to visit more often, for those still wondering what exactly I'm doing here, I was given the honor of presenting the next guest to you, she's an exceptional woman, a talented singer with a big heart and the voice of an angel, my beautiful girlfriend, Harleen Aldridge, so without further ado, please give her warm round of applause as we welcome her to the stage" he finished waving me onto the stage.

As I walked across the stage there were more screams, Marshalls serious expression greeted me as I stood next to him waving at the ground.

"You're going to kill it," he said into the mic before grabbed me gently and kissing me hard, then handing the mic to me, taking one last bow while flipping off the crowd as they screamed as he walked back off the stage, leaving me alone.

It's hard to describe the feeling of performing for something so iconic.

Being in the center of the circle it's as if all the old country music icons are there by my side.

When I stepped in that circle, all I could think about was the young girl who might be watching from the balcony that night, so I always made sure to wear something shiny, so she could dream too. 

This circle made its way from the past Opry location I think keeping, physically and metaphorically, this bond with the past is something that separates the Opry from almost all other musical institutions.

And here I am tonight once again, having the privilege to own that circle for the time of my set.

I remember being that little girl, it was the one thing I desired growing up, to be a country music singer, my mother wouldn't let me play with dolls so I focused on playing music when she allowing it, she was busy making sure I was attending etiquette classes and that I was perfect for the parents she made me do.

This was my dream.

This was always my dream and I almost lost it all.

"Nashville! Its good to be back here!" I Yelled into the mice over the screams of the crowd "After my long hiatus it feels so good to be back on stage at the Opry"

I stood as I heard my music startup, ready to jump into the first if the two sings I had rehearsed for.

I had planned on singing "Before He Cheats and then a surprise cover of "Jolene" by my Idol Dolly.

I was excited, I looked to the side of the staff to see Marshall standing there, lopsided smile, and the nervous feeling seemingly disappeared as I turned back to the crowd and I started to sing.

"Right now, he's probably slow dancing
With a bleached-blond tramp
And she's probably getting frisky
Right now, he's probably buying
Her some fruity little drink
'Cause she can't shoot whiskey"