It's A Date?

Staring down at the engagement ring that sat on my finger I couldn't help but think to myself about why I had never gotten married.

I was aware that Marshall had been married and divorced twice, but it was to the same person.

I had always thought of marriage, especially as a child, I drempt of a beautiful springtime ranch style wedding, hues of blush, sun blessing the day with it's rays at noon, outside as I stood underneath a rose and honeysuckle covered arch, dressed in a simple lace fit and flare style gown across from my beloved whilst we said I do.

But I never did find a beloved.

I thought I did with Beau, but his cheating proved it wasn't the case.

And now here I am finally getting married, and it's a complete sham.

So I guess I was by destined to find that man whom I love more than the air I breathe and live happily ever after, I'm sure even my mother would make it didn't happen, I'm sure of it.

I looked to the side of me, over to the side of the porch, I see Marshalls three daughters giggling and talking between themselves with about bridesmaids dresses and shoes, waiting for Austin to show up, ready to get them on the way for their camping trip.

I sigh, the pang in my chest was harsh, a bold reminder of the guilt I held for what I was doing, going to do, I would break their hearts eventually, my only hope is that the label would end the contract on a mutual note so that I was able to keep them on my life.

They had given me a new reason to enjoy life, a family that I never had besides Austin, and although my relationship with their father was fraudulent, my love that had grown for those beautiful girls was very real.

"Ready to go?"

Looking to my left I spot the dazzling but playful smile of none other than Marshall.

"Yes, of course" I replied, smiling at him and smoothing down my dress.

"Well then" He said gesturing toward the steps down from the porch to where my car had been packed "Your chariot awaits"

I can't help but chuckle at his silly antics and walk toward my car, Marshall following behind me then stepping around me to open the door, earning a curious eyebrow raise from me as I took my seat.

Waiting for him to enter the driver's side, he looks at me grinning "What? Chivalry ain't dead in me yet baby"

I blush at the way the word baby rolls off his tongue like the worlds finest silk, sending goosebumps over my body.

I should be used to it by now, the amount of times he's casually just whispering it to me, as if it belonged to me.

"You hungry?"

I nodded with a grin "Sure am"

It wasn't a lie, I was starving.

"Great, we're going to a restaurant your brother actually recommended the other night"

"Should I be concerned? Most restaurants Austin enjoys involve chicken wings, beer and pretty women with their breasts out"

"You got whole ass restaurants that are dedicated to that here? Well damn I guess I fucked up" Marshall said, faking disappointment, frowning at the road ahead of him as he drove "Guess you're gonna have to give me chicken and jugs back at home ... and by jugs I mean  show me them tittys"

I'm sure I was red from head to heel at this point, any other man would have a woman offended, but Marshall had a way with words that made even the crudest of sentences sound like a serenade.

"What were you sayin' about chivalry earlier?"

"I said it ain't dead, never said it was always polite" He smirked, tilting his head and giving me a side glance.

I took in his appearance as he focused back on the road as we headed into town, the beams of the streetlights bouncing off his face, almost as if God wanted me to focus on that ridiculously chiselled jawline and criminal bone structure.

I've said it once and ill say it again, he was without a doubt a beautiful man.

As I watched him leaning back in his seat, hand on the steering wheel, it was one of the most attractive things, And all he was doing was driving.

It seems Meeting Marshall had opened a figurative Pandora's box.

It felt like it was coaxing me out of my shell bit by bit and building me up.

Marshall was building me up.

"We're here" Marshall's velvet voice came, shaking me out of my thoughts, the vision of him with a raised eyebrow and an amused smile coming into view as my clouded head faded.

I had been staring at him this whole time.

I bit my lip, looking around I realized we were at Saint Anejo, a popular Mexican.

"My lady" I look up to see the door opened and Marshall standing there with a sheepish grin.

I step out of the car and we head inside, the waitress takes us to a secluded order booth, leaving us alone to read the menu.

"This place is amazing" I said looking around in awe.

"Tacos are my favourite food, so I thought it was time to introduce my two favourite things"

"I'm honoured" I said looking up from the menu, he seemed to have been staring at me, making me a little nervous.

"Well I figure this contract seems to be ongoing for now I feel like we gotta know each other more at least, I mean where getting married now"

"Makes sense to me, what do you wanna know?"

"Favorite food?"

To most people that was the easiest question to answer in the world.

But for me, someone with an extremely unhealthy relationship with food and who has struggled with eating disorders since I was a child partaking in beauty pagents, it was one of the most anxiety-inducing questions anyone could ask.

I didn't have a favourite food because food was associated with failure and never being thin enough, a trauma that was deeply embedded in my mind, thanks to my mother.

"I'm not sure" I said trying to sound casual, putting the menu down.

Marshall tilts his head and looks at me nodding slowly, when were interrupted by the server.

Before I could speak when asked for my order, Marshall jumps in and orders something on my behalf, giving me a wink as the server leaves us alone again.

"I was gonna order the-"

"Trust me on this Harley Quinn"

"I guess I have no choice but to trust your taste in food then huh?" I quipped, trying to keep my nervous voice at bay.

"Have I been wrong bout anything yet?" he smirked playfully, tapping his head.

"No, I guess not, but the night is young Mr Mathers"

He scoffs humorously and shakes his head "One of my favourite things about you is your sense of humour Harley, don't ever change"

Those words somehow triggered the warm feeling that crept across my head, making me look down and blush instantly.

I'm damn sure I just swooned like a damsel.