No Trash In My trailer

Sitting around the dining table silently eating, my father at the head, I said next to Marshall, my mother sitting next to Austin.

Not your usual celebration of an engagement by a family.

But then my mother refused to celebrate.

"Marshall, how long will you and Harley be in Nashville?" My father said suddenly after what felt like forever.

"I was told were here for a week, Harly and I have a few promotional interviews booked while we're here"

My father nods, and then looks to my mother who was clearly seething "Annalise, I expect you to have a dinner party planned with all our closes friends and family in their honour, I would like to formally celebrate their engagement before they leave"

I watched as my mother nodded in displeasure, picking up her wine glass and taking a gulp as my brother forced a serious look on his face.

My mother dictated to everyone around her.

Everyone but my father that was.

My father, though emotionally unavailable he was very intelligent, and knew what my mother was like.

My mother was terrified of my father leaving her, when I say he is intelligent, I mean to say he has an ion clad prenup, that my mother would simply walk away with nothing.

The power I would love to hold like that over her, but she signed my rights away to herself.

"Daddy, you don't have to throw a party for us"

"Now Harleen, if your daddy wants to throw a soiree, then that is what you'll get"

"Your mother is right, this is a cause for a celebration," My father said, reading for his bottle of wine to top up his glass and then turning to face Marshall "Please be sure to have your manager send me the invoices for the cost of the wedding Marshall"

Marshall looked bewildered and confused "Sir, with all due respect, I think I can afford any wedding that Harley desires"

My father chuckles "Son, in no way is that meant to be deemed offensive, I'm sure you can, it's just tradition in the south, the father of the bride pays for the wedding"

Marshall opens his mouth but then closes it again, rethinking what he was about to say, looking at me confused.

----

I watched discreetly across the hall at my father and Marshall as they sat in his office talking.

I couldn't make out what they were saying but the situation had me nervous, my father's reaction had been unexpected.

"Harleen, I'm glad I've finally been able to get you away from him"

I looked as my mother sat next to me, realisation finally settling in that I was alone with her, Austin nowhere to be seen.

The hot feeling of anxiety and dread rising in my chest.

I wasn't prepared.

I haven't been left alone with her for months.

"Momma, I'm so glad daddy wants to throw a party to celebrate"

"Silly girl, you're delusional, that so-called man of yours is going to leave you long before you get to that later, lord knows he most probably sleepin' with his assistant"