Little White Lies

"Just gonna stand there and watch me burn
Well that's alright, because I like the way it hurts
Just gonna stand there and hear me cry
Well that's alright
because I love the way you lie
I love the way you lie"

I stood in the booth eyes closed, desperately trying to make something of it, the beat was off and I was trying to make it work, but it was just... Wrong.

These lyrics were circling around inside my head for weeks, I had finally put the hook on paper and it seemed like I was now stuck for the rest of the song, my mind was running a mile a minute, there was something big missing, I just didn't know what.

I opened my eyes, only to lock eyes with a set of ocean blue.

Marshall stood at the soundboard, staring at me, his expression was curious and I wondered if he's heard all of it.

With a sigh, giving up for the time being, I took the headphones off and exited the booth.

"Hey sorry to intrude on your studio while you're busy... Just wanted to know if you wanna get some lunch?" He said, head tilted to the side, standing casually, hands in pockets, body slightly slouching in a relaxed manner.

"I guess I could eat, I didn't even realize"

You're starving, who are you trying to kid?

"Great, there's a burger place near here we normally order from" He said standing aside as I walked ahead of him "They do a Ceaser salad, I noticed it's like a preference of yours"

I nodded as I walked out to his car, him following me and unlocking it, both of us getting in.

"Observant aren't we" I said with a smile as he began to reverse out of the bay and start to drive.

"Always, I take in everything" she replied with a smug smile and a shrug.

We drive to the burger place, Marshall driving through the drive-thru and placing our orders, grabbing our meals then parking up facing a park.

"Romantic" I joked.

"I feel like we both needed to have a break from the studio, you looked like you were struggling as much as I was"

I nodded "Ever have a hook and you just can't... Make it work?"

"Definitely, I have a lot of unreleased songs, hooks, verses you name it, a lot stay on the page until I can do something with them"

"Yeah this song is one of those, it was keeping me awake so I had to write it down and now it's... Just there"

"From what I heard its dope"

"Thank you" I said with a sheepish smile.

"Just keep at it, you'll get it"

We continued to eat, sharing small chat regarding current projects, my promotional tour, which wasn't going to be huge, I'm easing back into it.

We finish eating and head back to the studio, Marshall rushing past reception and quickly drags me to his office shutting and locking the door, spinning me around and pinning me to the door, hungrily kissing me, catching me off guard.

———

As I sit next to Marshall, watching him as he works on a song, I am in awe at his workmanship.

After a quickie session on his desk we had both gone back to our studios to work, at about 4 I had given up for the day and came and sat in with him.

He was truly a musical genius, the way he worked was full of finesse.

Suddenly we were interrupted by a squealing and bickering that sounded like teenage girls.

"Daddy, Laney is being so mean"

Marshall chuckled swinging around in his chair facing the three girls.

I followed suit and took them in.

He often bragged about them but this is the first time I had met them in person.

The three of them were beautiful, facing me, eyes curious.

"oh my god" The brunet squealed.

"Harleen Aldridge!!" The blonde continued.

"Wait, you know her already?" Marshall said confused and drowning.

The teenagers rolled their eyes "Of course we do dad, she's country's sweetheart, we also know you've been dating over a year, it's called the internet"

I giggled at the sass of the brunette one.

Marshall tutted then cleared his throat "Girls, please... Harley Quinn, meet the legacy that is the Mathers clan, this is Alaina, Hailie, and Whitney, girls, Meet Harley"

"Its an honor to finally meet y'all, your daddy has told me so much about you"

"So cute" They all giggled "He calls her Harley Quinn"

"You're so beautiful" The youngest said suddenly, who had been staring at me silently the whole time, holding onto her fluffy unicorn backpack like her life depended on it.

"Well thank you darlin" I said with a kind smile "That's just the sweetest thing"

"Will you be having a sleepover too?"

"Honey, Harley lives with daddy now, shes Daddy's girlfriend remember" Marshall said crouching down to the younger blonde.

"Oh right" Whitney said turning to me "Do you like to play dolls?"

"She's not gonna wanna play dolls silly, she's grown" Hailie said with an eye roll "Do you wanna come watch Laney and I do our make-up?"

"Girls there is plenty of Harley to go around, no need to start a fight about it" Marshall said, as he turned and started to gather up his things "Let's get going"

As if his words triggered them, they all instantly started to fight over who got to hang out with me first as we made our way back to Marshall's car.

His only reaction was to sigh.

I have to say it was nice to feel idolized and wanted.

———

"You have horses and a ranch?" Hailie squeaked "I'm so jealous, I've been begging dad for a horse for years!"

"Well maybe on school break we could visit the ranch, it's up to your daddy though, but the offer is there" I said grinning, they had been bombarding me with questions since we sat down to dinner.

"PLEASE dad" The three girls all asked at once.

"I'll think about it, y'all gotta behave or we won't even be leaving the front yard" He said, trying to seem steady but breaking out into a smile.

The girls sat and told us about their holiday, which they had just gotten back from, with their momma, who I was yet to meet.

I understood Marshall's awe of his amazing daughters, they were beautiful, well behaved and highly intelligent.

He had shared the insecurities he had of being a good father and that he only wanted to give them the best in life, to raise them in a stable home with everything they needed.

He was doing exactly that, and he was excelling.