Well, I Declare!

I sat on the porch letting the warm wind of the night licking my skin.

It had been an ordeal but we made it through dinner with my parents tonight.

"You all good?" I hear Marshall's voice come from beside me.

"Yeah just getting some fresh air before heading up to bed"

"That's cool" He said giving me a coy smile "Tonight went well I think"

"My father throwing us a party is good news, did he say much to you?"

"He said he had a great deal of respect in me actually... Well never in a real relationship"

"I don't understand why, from what I've seen and experienced you're a pretty amazing guy"

"I use to be a lot angrier" He said with a shrug "I wasn't always a nice guy to the women in my life"

"Everyone makes mistakes"

"Yeah, not that many Harley Quinn, I cheated, a lot"

"Oh, right" I said and shifted in the seat "Why did you cheat?"

"Boredom mostly, and because I could, I have women throwing themselves at me, I never use to be good and frequently gave in to temptation, which is not a real excuse I know, have you ever cheated?"

"I haven't, been cheated on plenty, but I couldn't put someone through that"

He nods and rubs the back of his neck uncomfortable "Uh, remind me before I leave to get your Aunt somethin' nice to show my appreciation for lookin' after the girls"

I nod "I'm glad the girls liked Aunt Jo"

"I'm glad they actually behaved for her" Marshall snorts "She called them Angels, had the doin' the dishes and shot, I can't even get them to so that with threats, I'm in awe of her power"

"Yeah she as the gift of Southern persuasion" I laugh "I still can't say no to that woman"

He takes a seat next to me and we both take in the silence for the moment.

"It's nice out, is it always this nice?"

"Always" I said smiling at him.

"I'm kinda glad it's you"

"Glad it's me?"

"Yeah, in this whole media shit show"

His words were humbling and made me warm inside, I could feel the pink warm blush rush to the surface of my skin.

It was weird having someone to spend time with all the time, until this contract I was usually alone or with Audry and or with Aunt Jo or Austin, but never all the time for hours on end.

It was nice to have a friend from outside.

Could I call us friends?

I suppose that's what we were now.

Well, friends that slept together.

"Well I'm glad I have you" I said giving him q smile "You have a way of making me feel, I don't know, validated?"

"Yeah? I do?"

"Of course, you just have a way with words, I feel like I needed someone that was blunt and honest in my life"

"Anytime, but I don't just say those things to make you feel validated you know, when I say you're beautiful and stuff it's because I'm being honest, I call them as are 'em"

"Oh" I yelped quietly, suddenly feeling breathless.

"It's a compliment Harley" Marshall said looking at me with his head tilted, porch fairy lights reflecting in his baby blues, coy grin sitting on his perfectly plump lips "Just take it"