Fool's Gold

I stared out over the garden, ignoring the laughter and forced small talk that echoed through the doors behind me.

My parents were in their element, if there was something they did well, it was entertaining.

My family name way famous not only because of my music career but also because we were renowned to throw the most decadent of soirées.

People would beg just to be invited and to be involved in such events.

And my engagement dinner party was no exception.

In a small amount of time, my mother had arranged an extravagant delectable event that had the finest of foods and beverages.

"Ma'am?"

I turn to my left to be met by a waiter dressed in a suit and white gloves holding a tray of champagne so expensive, that I'm pretty sure would be served to the gods themselves.

I found myself internally fighting myself not to grab a glass of the sparkling golden liquid.

"She's ok" A velvet voice came from behind me.

My hand dropping to my side, turning my head in the direction of the man that cared more about my own sobriety than my parents.

The waiter nodded and disappeared through the doors and my eye ms landed on Marshall's, concern flashing across them.

"Thank you"

"Your life isn't short of temptation is it?"

I shook my head.

He sighed and leaned on the balcony railing, the light of the early moon shining on his face as he looked over the grounds of my family's estate, the reflection of the moon catching the shape of his jawline perfectly, as if to highlight it, I would imagine that many people would desire to carve into stone, as they did with Greek gods.

"Where are your daughters?"

"Inside, Austin is showing them magic tricks and your aunt is introducing them to people"

"Doesn't surprise me" I snort, probably too loudly as it gained a side-eye from Marshall and an amused smirk before he rolls on his elbow facing me.

"You don seem impressed one bit"

"I would rather be at home"

He shrugs and nods in agreement "Unfortunately for you Harly Quinn, people wish to celebrate our upcoming nuptials" He continues, putting on an awful southern twang.

I sigh "I know, but it's just, too much"

He looks back behind him and then back to me "It is a bit over the top, yet people are acting like they won tickets"

"My family is known for throwing quite the celebration"

"Oh? And if you were throwing your own engagement? How would that go down?"

I thought for a moment, it wasn't like I haven't thought about it before, along with getting married.

"A simple party in my garden of only my closest loved ones, some cakes and sweet tea"

"My southern bell" Marshall mused, goofy grin replacing his cocky smirk, a flash of something across his face but then disappears back into a playful smirk as he straightens up "We, uh, should head back inside"

I nodded, turned and we headed through the doors, walking through the large room.

I stop dead in my tracks as I see my mother, bending down, smiling while helping Hailie fix Whitney's dress while Alaina stood holding some napkins.