Chapter 17

___

Yoongi sits alone in the living room area, looking around fascinated by the old, neat and characteristic house. the room smells of fresh flowery soap, which reminds him of his own grandmother. a row of well preserved crystal figurines lined up on a wooden shelf catches his attention. he walks over and takes a closer look. two babies. a koi fish. a tiger. a snowflake, and some flowers.

"those were Miyoung's" He turns around at the sound of the old lady, looking at her confusedly.
"Soojin's mother" she clarifies and he nods as he steps towards her and takes the giant tray she's carrying, filled with different kinds of food. he sets the tray down, just as Soojin comes in carrying a steaming pot.

"Thank you for the food ma'am" Yoongi bows his head as they all sit on the floor around the table.
Nana gestures for them to start and they both dig in the various colorful dishes in front of them. she looks at the young pair slowly but enthusiastically eating and shakes her head.
"you both look like you don't eat enough"

"Nana, i missed your cooking so much" Soojin gives her grandmother a warm smile and she pats her hair and cups her cheek in return.

"you've changed. you've changed a lot"

Yoongi looks up at the elder's concerned expression.
"How have i changed Nana?"

"i've seen you on TV, i've heard your voice on the phone, but to see your face so close" she pauses and her brows knit "you're starting to look more and more like her"
Soojin leans into her touch a sad expression on her face before going back to her food without another word.

"and you" Nana points to Yoongi and his head snaps up so fast he feels he pulled a muscle or something.
"you're taller than on TV" she eyes him suspiciously and he tries as hard as he can not to laugh. but as Soojin starts laughing, he can't help but join. soon the three finish eating and the youngers thank the grandmother a couple more times before loading the tray with empty dishes to take to wash.

"i'll wash the dishes" Soojin says.
"i'll help you" Yoongi replies and Nana looks at him from under her eyes. just then his phone rings and he looks at the screen.
"sorry I have to take this" he hurriedly walks out to the yard.

"he seems nice" Nana says helping Soojin unload the tray in the sink.
"he is" She replies absentmindedly.
"oh so you agree?" Nana humphs placing her hands on her hips, but then she looks at the girl's soft smile as she grabs the sponge seeming to not even be in the room.
"oh i see i see, you're already whipped" Nana gently but firmly smacks the back of her head.
"OW" she crouches down and looks up at her grandma's twisted face.
"it's like you're 15 all over again eh?"
She doesn't reply and they just continue washing the dishes.

•••

Yoongi paces the length of the yard back and forth impatiently. passing the frozen bushes of dead flowers on the side.

"how the fuck did he get in to my apartment?" he yells in a low voice so he can't be heard.

"i have no idea Mr Min. i have watched the footage i sent you many times but before he appears in front of your door, no suspicious entrance was caught at the gates." Mark says over the line.

"FUCK!"

pinching the bridge of his scurnched nose Yoongi curses under his breath a little louder than he'd like to. he feels the blood running through his vein all over his body. even in the freezing air around him, he seems about to go up in flames.

"what's interesting to me, is that once he's at your door, he doesn't try to hide his face at all!" Mark declares over the phone.
"that's cause he wants to be seen" Yoongi replies "update me on his whereabouts. and please. Do Not let this get out" and he hangs up.

Leaning against the railing of the steps, he lets out a heavy breath. as the last rays of the setting sunlight glisten his brown eyes. the thought of him entering his house makes a sickening feeling settle into his stomach, just like it did when the man had told him "you just gave me everything i needed".

•••

after catching up with her grandmother all day, and her getting to know Yoongi better, although she wasn't pleased to find out the young man is her boss, they set to sleep for the night.
Nana sets Yoongi a floor mattress and a couple blankets in the spare room. she shows him a small heater in the side of the room.

"it makes a whizzing sound, but it'll keep ya warm at night"

Yoongi bows and thanks her before she leaves the room.

Soojin lays next to her grandmother, face up, staring at the ceiling. counting the familiar cracks she has memorized so well over the years.
"Nana, i have to tell you something"

"what is it?" Nana mumbles from under her heavy blanket.
Soojin falls silent for a second, not sure of how to speak her mind.

"He found me"

Nana whirls around in her place and looks at her in the dim light coming from outside.
"WHAT?"
"don't worry. he didn't lay a finger on me and i stood my ground. just like you taught me" she reaches out and takes Nana's hand in hers and she can feel her trembling.

"how can i not worry...when i remember what he's done...how he.." her matured voice shaking. revealing years of fear and worry behind the strong exterior.

"i promise you, i'm safe. i'm never alone. i have gaurds now." she squeezes her hand reassuringly. "i have...him now" Soojin says in a whisper and her heart flutters at her own words.

"Nana, when he...came to my house, Yoongi confronted him. without even knowing the story. he jumped in and protected me." she says that but still can't help the uneasy feeling of her stealthy secrets spread over her like a fragile dandelion against the wind.

"he..he did?"

"yes, he really is a good guy"

Nana leans in and takes Soojin in her arms tightly.
"promise me, that you'll fight back this time" she whispers in her ear, and at the familiar words she had told her once before, she feels her stomache churn in fear.
"i promise Nana"

she stays in her embrace like that before Nana pulls away and gives her a questioning look.

"wait a second young lady, why was Yoongi in your house?"

•••

Yoongi tosses and turns as the whizzing sound of the heater keeps him up. among with other thought. thinking about his phone call. grabbing his phone he clicks on the video again. his blood boiling at the footage.

The man walks up to the door, types the password and opens the door at first attempt.
"how" he thinks to himself.

he throws the phone away in frustration, chewing the inside of his lip, he thinks about lie after lie that he's told her. how he found her dad and met him behind her back. how he didn't leave the door open but said he did. he looks around the room, and the guilt of it all hits him.
He's in her childhood home. in her safe place. in the current of her life.
he's impacting it. so he knows what he has to do, if he wants to stay in it.

___